Canter (bit long sorry)

Blazingkate

carlingblacklabel.piczo.com
Hi, I'm having a bit of a problem going from trot to canter with my horse, and with canter on the whole. He's going really nicely in walk and trot now, collected, working from behind and in an outline and going smoothly from one to the other. But when I ask for canter, he trots at 200 miles an hour and then throws himself into canter, then the canter is very long and uncollected with no outline at all. I gather this is probably due to him being a bit unbalanced but does anyone have any ideas on how I can work with him to get him more collected and in an outline. He's got an amazing jump and I'd like to start affiliating him next year, but I'm not going to until we've got a good, balanced canter. Sorry its so long!!

xxxx

jennystreek

Visit site
my horse used to be very similar, and sometimes is still!! If he is working in a very relaxed manner (nicely stretching down in an outline), then his canter transition has a bit of a "roadrunner" effect before he goes into canter. However, if he is all tense then he goes in to canter with me just thinking "canter"!! Obviously this is not the answer, but lots of transitions and half halting down the outside rein helps loads
smile.gif

maddielove

Visit site
maddie was a bit like this, she was also becoming disuinted too.
i was instructed on making sure that you do sitting trot before canter for about 2 to 4 strides and ask and make sure that it's a steady trot also.
also aiming for the canter to go to the beat of that stupid "run rabbit run rabbit run run run" song, helps ALOT.
but persiverance helps alot too
might not help much..but it has done for me.

Peanot

Visit site
This is what I`ve been taught. Maddielove has said above about the sitting for 4-5 strides, and probably more strides, before asking for the transition, until the trot is nice and relaxed, but also it has to be a very slow trot. If your horse is forward with the trot, but she is not truly balanced, then she will run into canter. So you have to slow it right down and when I first did this, I felt like I was going TOO slow, but on video it looked lovely, rhythmical and balanced! When you have this slow trot, sit for a few strides then ask. If she starts to run, get her back straight away, don`t let her run.
After a while of you doing this every time you ask for canter, she will not run on and you can do it from a stronger trot.
It definately works.

4whitesocks

Visit site
my boy is the same only worse - only outline we get is in walk!! Trot we'll eventually get a bit of work from behind once he settles and do lots of transitions and circles. Canter we have finally sorted the transitions and the lead but he reckons it's much easier to fly along at speed rather than work from behind at a regular rhythm....plan is to teach him on the lunge and then translate that to the riding...well that's the plan anyway!!!

smilincow21

Visit site
The best thing for engaging horses is lots of transitions and changes of rein. The transitions both improve their balance into and out of the horses paces and keep them thinking. The changes of rein help ingage the hocks, which is part of the bricks for building your outline. The key is to keep changing your actions, from changing the rein, circles, figures of eights. Eventually with alot of persistance he should use his outline.
Also my trainer also recommended starting with a few strides of canter and coming back to the trot. Keep shortening and lengthening this time and he should start to relax into canter instead of rushing and will concentrate more as he wont know how long he will be cantering for, meaning he will listen to you more!

Soph83

Visit site
<span style="color:purple">He sounds better than my horse used to be and we've got it now!
Definitely start lunging him. I had to lunge my mare before every schooling session and get her cantering on each rein before I got on and tried. It definitley helps them balance.
If your horse runs bring him back to a balanced trot before asking again. Once he goes into canter really push him forwards, you cannot bring him back into a nice balanced canter untill he is going freely forwards.
When you ask for the canter try lifting your weight off his back slightly to help free up the back end.
Once he is cantering more balanced and freely you could try using spurs to sharpen up the transition (only if you're experienced in them and they're not going to freak your horse etc) I used spurs once on my mare and have never needed them since as she now goes into it as soon as I ask her where as before it'd take a fair nudges and there was no accuracy. </span>

Parkranger

Visit site
It's amazing how many of us have these problems!

I agree with the horse having to be in a steady trot before even asking for canter.

Lot's of circle work, changing of rein, getting the horse thinking. Also half halting.

Dont' agree with lunging - it's entirely different for the horse to canter in a circle without you on it's back ..... are you having lessons as I was shocked at how much I unbalanced my boy before I found my 'seat' again......

x

Soph83

Visit site
<span style="color:purple">I found that shortening my stirrups helped me keep a little more secure whilst she was bouncing around all over the place with me hanging on. Then I started lengthening them when she was balanced to get a deeper seat to start thinking about the contact. We still have the odd crash into the side of the school though!
I had to lunge Bella as she wasn't even balanced without a rider so how could she be with one? </span>