Canter leads - fessing up!

4whitesocks

Visit site
OK so it's time for a big confession/apology! I have posted several times about canter lead issues on the right rein on Sid, got lots of advice and a couple of people tactfully pointed out it could well be my own fault, which I vehemently denied & had decided my horse had a 'problem'....anyway had a chat to my old YO last weekend who told me to get up on another horse and practise canter transitions until I could firstly tell when the strike off was right and secondly practise my own technique on BOTH reins. She recently inherited a retired dressage horse and pointed out how much she (as an advanced rider) had learnt from him about her aids and suggested it wouldn't do me any harm to do the same.

Did that on Saturday - then got up on Sid.

*hangs head in shame*

It was me. Because I have decided there's a 'problem' on that rein I was tensing up and tilting forwards - thus unbalancing said Ned. Since then we have gotten it right 7 out of ten times, he is landing correctly after fences and IF we don't get it right and starts running on then it can take a while to get it back BUT at least I know I'm the problem! Last night he got it right first ask (then proceeded to buck and switch legs as if to say 'Damn you caught me'! but we got it back again)

As I mentioned in my other post despite the fact that I am novice rider who bought a green horse the fact that he 'doesn't let me away with getting it wrong' is the best thing that has ever happened to my riding!!

So a big thanks & apologies all round!

KatB

Visit site
Lol!! No need to apologise!! I was doing exactky the same, and was adament it wasn't me, until my trainer made me do something to point out it was me!!

Well done for admission though, thats the sign of a good horseperson if you can put your hands up and admit "it was me"!
grin.gif

4whitesocks

Visit site
Gonna wait until next year - it tends to die a death for the winter because everyone is hunting - and I am hoping to do a bit of hunting on him in Jan/Feb....Also hoping to have him ready for someone to ODE by the spring, old YO is v experienced & is dying to get her hands on him when she has had her baby! So by next summer we should be in good shape for the big step of bringing him home!!!

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
Oh thats great! Pretty much the same here, it all very quiet in our region in at the moment. I've been bringing Pride down to Wicklow for some SJ the past few weeks but it will be Jan before our SJ League starts again!

Will hopefully see you at the Festival next year then and I will finally get to meet the Fabulous Sid
grin.gif

Niamhy

photobucket.com
tongue.gif
Ive met Sid already!!!
tongue.gif

So when am I going to met the lovely Pride more to the point??

Nothing going on here in the western region either, Autumn league is finished, nothing now till April. Hopefully Murph will be back in action.

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
I know its terrible I've never met Murph either, although I did see him jump his WH round from a distance
tongue.gif

Nationals is probably the only opportunity we will all get to meet with horses due to everyones location! So I'll just have to make sure I get P to the festival this year
grin.gif
I've joined in a league from the South/West Leinster Region at the moment (not sure which one) but I cant wait to get started with our Winter League in Jan, all going well Im hoping to upgrade to Open
shocked.gif

Clodagh

Visit site
Really, 4WS, and the rest of us are PERFECT riders you know!!
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

But go on, what was it like riding the dressage ned? Was it awesome??