Canter problems.... and dressage saddle!

Lill

Visit site
After lots of hard work i can now get Blue and Holly working nicely round and 'on the bit' in walk and trot. BUT as soon as i ask for canter this all pretty much goes out the window! Blue is not so bad as Holly (who goes back to giraffe mode).

What can i do to help them stay, well, as they are in walk and trot to stay like that in canter??

Is it just a case of keep practising in trot so they develop the right muscles to make it easier for them in canter?

I know Holly is quite unbalanced and leans a bit on one rein so am doing more work on her weak side to try and balance it out.

Blue went really nicely in trot when i rode him in a dressage saddle for the first time last night and his canter was better but not great.

They are both still quite young only turned 6yo this Summer.

Judie

Visit site
Practise I'm afraid. Do loads of trot to canter transitions and don't stay in the canter for too long, half a circle then another transition, but again don't stay in trot too long either as it's the transitions that are the improving exercise. That way they build up the strength without it becoming too difficult and if it's not difficult they won't start to lean etc. You will see a huge improvement in a couple of weeks if you do this.

kick_On

Visit site
you hit the nail on the head, it's a practise one

Lots of transitions needed, but you need to have your horse's frame long and low which will built up correct mucsle in back and making the power come from hock.
I would suggest that you warm up with gg nose almost on ground, taking contact to ground for about 20 mins (using all paces and both riens), then ask to go on bit and once you ask for change of pace ask him to take contact down instead of doin giraffe stuff. Grr if goes up, so they know its wrong but lots of prasie when working long and low.
But remember used all pace ie walk to halt, halt to trot etc... keep do lots and then canter will come
lots of sweaty day ahead
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Lill

Visit site
Unforunately its all a lot easier said than done!!
crazy.gif

Blue will eventually go nice in canter but only after i've been riding him for about 45mins and i'll get a nice 15mins ish out of him after that. Is that just in his case that he needs a lot of time to loosen up?

Holly just WILL NOT go in the slightest bit round in canter. It has taken me probably 6 months to get her to go nicely in trot i can see canter taking just as long too....
frown.gif
frown.gif
is quite depressing really!

So lots and lots of transitions and only stay in each pace for a short period of time if i can? Are there any exercies i can do which will make it less boring?

Lill

Visit site
Yes have lunged them in harbridge, side reins and bungee but i do not have a pessoa although it is something that i would very much like !!

Sparklet

Visit site
She is probably struggling to keep her balance. My new horse had a really established walk/trot but canter was all over the place. Fast and furious.

I spent a lot of time doing transitions, kept the canter on a 20 meter circle and tried to let her find her own balance in canter by lifting my weight slightly off her back. Hollow head up canters are generally down to lack of balance and lack of muscle to keep her balance.

Keep going short bursts as has been advice, dropping to trot before it goes to peices and plenty of transitions. Keep a light seat too.

Judie

Visit site
Transitions aren't boring for your horse as he will be kept quite busy enough without extra excercises at the same time. You could ride serpentines, figures of eight, throw some poles on the floor, circle round them, over them, loops down the long side, flex to the inside and counter flex to the outside, ooh I could go on all day - don't forget though the transitions are the most important at this stage.

If you're bored - MP3 player!
smile.gif

kick_On

Visit site
sorry
there really it's a quick fix solution apart practise, practise and blooming hard work

IMO i really wouldn't go for on bit stuff, but you really do need long and low to built up correct muscles and you need for balence, strainghtness etc.....
If you get out of puff before them, lunge them first

If you look at my avatar it's taken me nearing year to getting this shape schooling and most of the time my instructor is screaming at me even low!!!!!!!!

What i do is have lessons, then do exercise at home, and mix and match. And also set youself little achieveable goals to make it more interesting.

Join local RC or go have some lesson with local instructor

kerrylou123

Visit site
im having the same probs, but with ground work, and lots of transitions, its finally starting to come together. Like Kick_On said, my horse finds it easier working long and low

Lill

Visit site
Hm right ok then. So tonight it's Blue's turn (think my instructor is using Holly in one of her lessons (the person riding her is better at flatwork than i am so it helps her a little! I'm more of a jumping person!)) have been doing trot down the sides, walk round the corners a lot and canter down the long sides trot the short sides. Circles down one end in trot and canter.... might try steal the dressage saddle again tonight as he seems to go better if i do sitting trot which is easier in that saddle! Hmm well will update tomorrow i guess!!