Cantering out hacking

zaminda

Visit site
Out hacking with a friend the other day, we were talking about standing or sitting in canter out hacking. We both mainly stand, in a cross country position, but she hacked out with another lady who is very nervous who said she was cantering slowly so that she could do it properly, ie sitting. So, what is your preference and would you tell someone they weren't doing it properly if they didn't do it your way?

Jo1987

Visit site
I mostly canter in 'half seat' same as you. I certainly wouldn't tell someone they weren't doing it properly if they didn't though, in fact I doubt I'd notice what they were doing!

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
No. would not say anything. Each to their own and how the horse prefers. If gallop yes out of saddle or up hill in canter.

I am very light seated but don't rise out of saddle until horse is settled In canter normally. Has a tendency to buck so being forward or out on certain days or straight off is not always possible for me. As longer as rider can allow horse free movement and self balance for the general undulated ground when hacking. No issues.

rara007

Visit site
Both- depending on if I'm cantering just to get somewhere or also using it to school with the extra purpose, or going for a hoolie! Also tend to sit going downhill. Also depends on the pony and circumstances, one can throw a buck so I wouldn't ride him deep cantering hacking :p

BSL

Visit site
I do both. In training for Newmarket Ride at the moment. Did 3 miles in raised out of saddle canter/ bit of gallop. Then later collected canter, sitting deeper. We do schooling out and about..

Woolly Hat n Wellies

Visit site
I couldn't give a stuff what anyone else does while they're cantering, provided they're safe and in control. They can do it standing on their head for all I care, as long as they're not going to bog off and get into a race. I vary standing and sitting depending on the ground, the slope, the speed, how strong he's being that day, whether I'm trying to school or just having a nice time, what I feel like at the time...

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I do both. In training for Newmarket Ride at the moment. Did 3 miles in raised out of saddle canter/ bit of gallop. Then later collected canter, sitting deeper. We do schooling out and about..

This, I do both. If I'm aiming for fittness/having fun light seat, if I'm schooling and asking for more I sit to the canter.

I mainly school out hacking anyway.

MissJessica

Visit site
Half seat as I feel I need to be in that position to control my horse and also feel secure in jinks and spooks. And my horse is also known to jump mole hills, puddles, shadows so also ensures I'm ready to go with him.
I have a friend who sits to control her pace, she has a thoroughbred & if he feels her seat lighten he can zoom off, his canter and her seat are beautiful & I love cantering behind them on a hack as we float along at a beautiful pace.
I just think that shows each to their own, what ever gives you and your horse the most control.

muckypony

Visit site
Always out of the saddle for me but when my boy was younger I had to sit to the canter especially with others as he has a nice sharp buck in him! Would not have been happy if someone told me I was doing it wrong! She may just feel safer sitting so leave her be as long as she is happy.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Out of the saddle.
It would depend on who I was out with though. - Someone who's experienced/knows their horse, then I'd say nothing.
A lesser experienced rider I might suggest to them a light seat.
If someone was riding my horse, then I would say I prefer them to be off the back.

skint1

Visit site
I am not a very experienced rider, I mostly learned out hacking, I adopted a kind of half seat because it kept me out of my horse's way mostly. Had an unplanned gallop on my new boy yesterday and I was definitely in half seat then, but I have seen people do both and just thought it was personal preference. I don't think I have the core strength to sit to a canter, also my boobs flump about too much like that.

eta, I have just looked at photos of half and light seat, I think I do a light seat really, except I often forget to put my shoulders back and have to keep reminding myself

applecart14

Visit site
I couldn't give a stuff what anyone else does while they're cantering, provided they're safe and in control. They can do it standing on their head for all I care, .

Me too! I rise out of the saddle to go uphill, in canter, but otherwise I try to sit deep as normal.
I don't think I'd even notice what the person next to me was doing to be honest.

dibbin

Visit site
I normally take a light seat out hacking as I find that much easier when the ground's less even.

I don't really notice what other people do!

Barnacle

Visit site
Depends on the horse and what I'm trying to do... But I ride a lot of horses that buck so I'm in the habit of keeping my weight back in a light (but not half) seat for a few strides before sitting properly or going into half seat in case they buck going into canter. Particularly with green youngsters, if you sit down really heavy, they might well try to buck you off! I wouldn't care what someone else was doing as long as they weren't endangering anyone (including themselves).

Then there's the one special pony whose saddle rides up his withers if you sit the canter (will probably need a crupper) and since he's a whizzy little thing, you just have to brace, wait and hope he doesn't go head-over-heels. He has no brakes in that situation - can't use the reins or he'll splat head-first into the dirt. Also bucks and rears but not in a canter (read flat-out gallop at this point) because that's just far too much fun to spoil. (I do actually love him). After having the experience twice and feeling both times like he would take a nose dive and land his fat arse on top of me, I decided to just stand!

Nudibranch

Visit site
Generally out of the saddle as all our fast work is over fields and the ground isn't often very even. Also the youngster is just learning to balance himself properly. But never really pay attention to what anyone else does! Whatever is most comfortable and secure for them.

9tails

Visit site
I wouldn't go out hacking with a nervous lady who wanted to canter slowly as I'd end up either trotting or blatting to the other end (in half seat) and waiting for nervous codger to arrive sedately.

Steorra

Visit site
It depends on what I'm doing and who I'm riding. If we're going for a gallop then a light seat or a half-seat depending on the horse and the saddle. Mostly, though, I do lots of trotting and cantering on hacks, with a mixture of rising, sitting, light-seat etc.

If a horse is going to spook or buck then personally I'd rather be in the saddle than out of it...but I realise that others feel differently, and wouldn't comment.

puppystitch

Visit site
Same as others - depends what we're doing. On the beach /at the gallops etc I'm up and out of the way. If we're pottering round a field and I fancy a short canter I'll stay sitting to (try to) maintain a steadier pace and let her know we're not going for a mad dash.