Capped hocks

noodle_

Visit site
Has anyone got a horse with capped hocks that has caused an issue?

Mine has ended her showing career very early on....but im just wondering if it will cause an issue in her next career (dressage)! shes not lame and never has been.

I chose not to have them drained for purely cosmetic reasons, as the risk of infection isnt worth it as im not that vain. They look awful i fully admit....

Over to you!...pics welcome if you have a capped hock horse!...

Pigeon

Visit site
Pip does! Doesn't bother him :)

Not sure if you can see in my sig (perhaps in the side on trotting pic) it's his left hind.

kim75

Visit site
I had a lovely young mare that did this after one kick to stable wall had vet out gave ointment tried hosing
, equissage
And a presage bandage nothing helped. After time it did go down a bit never caused any issues evented successfully , only really a problem if you show . Barely notice when moving, no change in movement

Last edited:

noodle_

Visit site
Thanks

One is huge and won't go down done physio etc and offered draining but for cosmetic reasons it not worth the risk

Dosent bother me too much - just checking later on it wasnt a huge issue :) means nothing either way as if she couldn't be ridden she would be having a foal which is my long term plan anyhow :)

Thanks!!

Mike007

Visit site
Bob the nota cob has a huge capped hock,it causes him no problem .It is entirely his own fault as he likes to sit down in the field (like Ermintrude the cow from magic roundabout!),resting his weight on that one hock. It tends to go down a bit in the winter,presumably because the sunbathing options are rather reduced.

cambrica

Visit site
My vet prescribed some DMSO ointment to paint on and it worked.
If they are softer with more fluid they are easier to reduce than those that are hard.
I was recommended haemorrhoid cream for piles but apparently that doesn't work.
Rubber matting with a deep bed also helps.

noodle_

Visit site
thanks all - she has fully matted stable with a deep bed :)

tried pile cream.... one is going down and the other isnt budging although looks better :)

id love to show her again in the future as shes a nice stamp tbh..... but that hock (!)