Captions on photos of horses in the paper (I despair!)

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I came across the following article re: Appleby and I completely despair at the captions on the photographs.

I am not making direct comment on the fair, nor the community for which it is held, but more that the writer clearly did not know the first thing about horses, did not try to gain any knowledge on it, and has therefore completely mis-interpreted what is going on.

This seems harmless but when they have written 'a horse gives a toothy grin' when what is actually happening is it's being yanked so hard in the mouth by the boy who is leaning back on the reins, that it's putting pressure on the horses gums/roof of his mouth and the pain is therefore making him/her open it to relieve said pressure.

Or the other 'this horse is clearly enjoying it's time in the river' when again, the horse has it's mouth wide open trying to avoid the pain being inflicted by yanking hands, it's mid-taking off which would indicate to me that it's either spooking or received a hefty kick (looking at the riders position, this is most likely).

On top of that there is another photo of two men in a cart, being pulled by what looks like a 12hh scrap of a yearling/2yo. I may be wrong on this, but something about the hooves (shod) and the width of it's chest just says to me that it's not quite old enough.

It isn't a good thing to normalise this imagery of horses, especially under the guise of them being happy. Very disappointing but I wouldn't expect any better from the DM.

Rant over, promise!! :D

Article in question: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7111401/Hundreds-traveller-families-Appleby.html

On a slightly more entertaining note, two horses apparently 'stopped for a chat', a man is pulling on the 'restraints' of one horse, and a third horse is getting ready to stand up (read: rear). :D:p

Last edited:

bonny

Visit site
You would think somebody at the paper would know something about horses and could have done better with the captions

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
"This horse looks like it's having the time of its life as it gallops down one of the roads", "pulled along by their horse who was white with black markings" - Sometimes you do just have to despair at what passes for journalism in the UK, leaving aside the nonsense about how happy, happy all the horses are you'd think they could get basic terminology right.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Makes my heart bleed looking at the majority of those photos as most are showing signs of facial pain - I absolutely HATE HATE HATE that they can race ride on the roads - that is disgusting & needs to be BANNED.

Reactions: DD

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm not sure there was a happy horse amongst them. Some of the harness is absolutely awful and fitted badly as well just to compound things

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Some of the photos were bad, but there were some lovely horses there in great condition. I've seen some pretty poor shots of show jumpers being hauled around the ring and some very obese horses with hefty riders using their horses as armchairs at locsl shows.
I do agree about the poor journalism in the mainstream media though. I don't expect journalists to be experts but surely they should do some basic research before writing a piece.

scruffyponies

Visit site
I thought the small pony was a yearling at first, but from its tail (just about visible), I think it's a bit older (hopefully).

The DM has some truly stupid journalists. Not sure some of them have ever left London before they're taken on as interns.
There was a story a few years ago which stood out. Apparently the poor lady fell off her horse because she "wasn't attached properly".
Silly me, I've been riding whilst 'unattached'. :D

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm not sure that caption writer is familiar with English, let alone horses! "one youngster took his top off to brave the others" indeed?!

I love this photo though... It's the shadow moustache on the right I enjoy most...

14458968-7111401-Girls_at_Appleby-a-8_1559833445472.jpg

GreyMane

Visit site
Equine welfare issues aside; Mike and Terri-Ann really need to run their copy past a sub-editor, or go (back?) to journalism college.
The writing is so extraordinarily dire, it's hard to believe it would be accepted by a school teacher, let alone by a national newspaper.
I gave up at;
"This horse looks majestic as it stand in a field on a back drop of light mixed with grey clouds in the background "

HashRouge

Visit site
I liked the one about the horse in a rug being the best dressed horse - there was even a detailed description of the pattern on the rug! Goodness knows what they'd think if they saw one of those fox print rugs that people have!

Theocat

Visit site
Well, good for the Daily Mail! It isn't often that national newspapers give space to the work experience person. And it's super to see they're letting the cub reporters develop their own distinctive style without interference from pesky sub editors or anyone with any technical or journalistic knowledge.

SpringArising

Visit site
I'm not sure there was a happy horse amongst them. Some of the harness is absolutely awful and fitted badly as well just to compound things

To be fair, I've taken loads of photos over the years both on the ground and ridden and thought 'Yikes, that isn't a pretty picture...'

I don't agree with the less than savoury practices of some of the people there, but I don't think we can judge the happiness/health of some of the horses from a snapshot in time. I saw an ad on my local sale page last night of a horse in a private home for share who looked FAR FAR worse than all of these horses, and no one said anything.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I think 99% of those horses look fairly healthy, if not necessarily happy (although it is just a snapshot in time).

As has been said above, I have seen many unhappy horses on private livery, in dressage comps, in showjumping, at local shows, at endurance, at eventing.. owned by the rich, the not-so-rich, the competitive, the happy hacker. It happens everywhere, hence why I only commented really on the journalism, rather than the politics underneath them.

Leo Walker

Visit site
To be fair, I've taken loads of photos over the years both on the ground and ridden and thought 'Yikes, that isn't a pretty picture...'

I don't agree with the less than savoury practices of some of the people there, but I don't think we can judge the happiness/health of some of the horses from a snapshot in time. I saw an ad on my local sale page last night of a horse in a private home for share who looked FAR FAR worse than all of these horses, and no one said anything.

Me too, but quite a lot of theses are showing "pain face" and coupled with the situation they are in, pulling too much weight, carrying to much weight, poorly fitted harness, unbalanced carriage etc, etc its not hard to see what they would be that way. I see horrible things on line and in person every day as well sadly, but i went through the article hoping to see a happy horse and nice set up and was disappointed not to see one. I know there are some there as people I know go but it wasnt captured in these photos.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Most of the pics seem to have changed since yesterday or is it me, loads more bowtop and sulky pics.

Megan V1

Visit site
Just sad. Can't believe it's still going on and animal welfare authorities are unable to do anything about it. These people need educating but are not prepared to change their attitude as they do not see anything wrong with the way they treat their animals. In all fairness they probably look at some top competative riders and feel they are just as cruel and they could be right.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
unable or choose not to? Plenty there!
large multi-agency task force will be in place at Horse Appleby Fair including the RSPCA (34 officers), The Blue Cross (8), Bransby Horses (3), The Donkey Sanctuary (6), Redwings (9) and World Horse Welfare (8).

BHS have a stand too...