Captive Sailors Coming Home?

evsj

Visit site
Don't want to jump the gun but so glad that the stand-off looks to be over for the navy personnel.
Also glad that president Blair didn't take a Bush-style appraoch and try and nuke the Iranians, no-one needs another war!

Their families must be soooooo happy!
smile.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
Thats the sort of attitude that would see them not getting home!
I don't see why the 'only female member' was made such a big deal of? Everyone fights for equality, but then it's 'oh no, a woman has been captured'????
Glad to hear it has been resolved peacefully though

pocket

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Once they are home , bomb the crap out of Iran as a warning ,

[/ QUOTE ]
Its this sort of talk that will get us into hot water, the middle east is so unstable at the moment that anything could happen.

Women have been going to sea since 1990 and I trained with the first WRENs that took up the challenge. Its women that wanted equality and we should admire the women that are in the front line.

Many of my friends served in the Gulf in 2003 and some are still out there doing a great job and putting their lives on the line every day.

So please no talk of bombs, there has been enough unnecessary blood shed over the past 4 years, it would be nice to see all our troops, both male and female return home safely and as soon as possible.

no_no_nanette

Visit site
I think its fantastic that women are now serving in many areas alongside the men, but a combination of a very conservative muslim country and the British media instantly made the only woman in the group (AND a mum!) big news ....

I think that we can be really proud that our more "softly, softly" approach, using quiet diplomacy, actually worked well, and the usual American approach of "bomb the hell out of them" was not followed! (Apparently the UK government was terrified that Bush would put his big foot in it as usual, and there was a lot of effort going on behind the scenes to keep him quiet!)

Also was anyone else struck by the double standards shown in our media reports ... its apparently OK to blindfold, shackle, dress in orange overalls, televise inmates of Guantanamo Bay if you are a Western power - but not OK to show perfectly healthy and relaxed looking British Navy personnel eating their dinner on Iranian TV. Isn't it about time we realised how much hypocrisy goes on around all of this stuff?!