Car dilemma - keep going round in circles. Advice pls!

maya2008

Visit site
We need:
- something to use to spray and harrow fields;
- something to tow a trailer with two small ponies (large Shetland and 12hh);
- something reliable (smart motorways locally, breaking down is not an option). Could avoid motorways if we have to.
- in the future we will need to tow heavier horses (less of an issue if we get an older car for less money as that would be the next car’s problem).

Current options:
- lighter tow car (Outlander/X-trail) with lighter trailer. Can get both straight away within budget. Not sure if I would also need a separate quad for the field work.
- heavier tow car (looking at Ford Rangers) that will be more likely to stand up to field work too and would tow anything. Options locally seem to be either ancient or much newer (so would need to save up again for the trailer). Would also take water to the field easily (no mains water).

Which option would be best?

holeymoley

Visit site
I wouldn’t use the same thing to harrow the fields as I would for towing in general. Of course it depends on the area you need to do but to me that’s a bit of wear and tear on bearings etc. I would personally opt for a quad for that if you can.

Sprig

Visit site
I have a Freelander 2 and would highly recommend it. I use it for field jobs, towing and as my daily driver. It's been v reliable and they are v reasonable to buy second hand.

Ali27

Visit site
I have a Ford Ranger truck! Bought it new in 2004 and it’s still going strong! Mainly use it for towing now/ harrows fields too as I have a Corsa as a run around!

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Ford Ranger..the new 2litre engine has more brake horse power than my 2 year old one with almost 3 litre engine. In Norway they are used to clear roads of snow pulling all sorts of machinery..i love mine.

mini_b

Visit site
I have a Freelander 2 and would highly recommend it. I use it for field jobs, towing and as my daily driver. It's been v reliable and they are v reasonable to buy second hand.

i loved mine but not good for towing heavier stuff.