Car sickness

bumper

Visit site
I have a 20 month old xbreed dog, and just acquired an 11 week old JRT bitch. He was always good at travelling..the normal vomit on the first journey home..but she is terrible! I have been taking her on short 5 min trips, and while she is no longer whining/barking, in fact she seems settled, she keeps throwing up.

She is now able to go out for walks come Weds, and also starts puppy classes that day. While there are nice walks out the back door, I live in Cornwall, and the beach is only 10 mins away. So are the classes, and she is sure to vomit on either journey, to the point where she slobbers ridiculously.

Can anyone suggest anything to help?

CAYLA

Visit site
A confined space to travel is always best (not on seats)
tongue.gif
and try placing newspaper or cardboard underneath her, apparently they are good anit sickness measures, also u meay wantto try a mint or some ginger before travelling, again good anti sickness, always traavel her on an empty tummy (no meal a few hours before travel) if it is the car alone u coud park the car and jsut let her relax in it on the drive with somehting to occupy her mind (after a long tiring walk) if you think it is the motion thats causing sickness u can also get cerenia from your vets, again a good anti motion sickness med.

bumper

Visit site
Thanks..she always travels in a pet carrier, on newspaper, before meals. I can't tire her out much as she has stubby little legs and is so young! pretty sure it's the motion so thanks will phone my vets tomorrow x

Jodies9154

Visit site
Hiya,

I have a 15 month JRT boy, I got him when he was 10 months and he had never travelled in the car. He gets very car sick but I think personally more form an anxiety point of view, if he is on quite a steady journey he is happy to lie down and sleep (alot better in the dark), but on bumpy windy roads he gets scared and can't settle to sleep.

I have come to the conclusion after trying many places for him to travel, the best is in the foot well of the passenger side, on a cushion so they can lie down. Try and get her to lie down, although many people think it is better for them to look out the window as it is us, they tend to be sitting/ standing up which makes them wobble around. Lying down is much the better option.

I have tried anti-anxiety remedies fro pets at home type stores which have never worked. Cerenia works as it is an anti-emetic, but it is expensive and you can't use it long term, it would perhaps be useful if you had one long journey coming up. I have just been given some anti-anxiety drugs by the vets that they are trialing. I am not overly hopeful but you never know, if they work brill.

As I intend to be an equine vet out on the road in the next couple of years a car sick dog doesn't quite fit the picture ha ha.

Thankfully you have your JRTs age on your side, she will hopefully grow out of it, this is what everyone that has had car sicl dogs have told me. I am still waiting and I am hopeing the day will come. I must say I am certain he has gotten better!

Good luck

bumper

Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions, although at 11 weeks I am only just teaching her "down", after "sit" is now established, and I couldn't possibly leave her loose in the car for fear she would end up under the pedals!!

After her first puppy class on Weds she chucked up all the sausage pieces I had used to train her in the class on the 10 min journey home and she WAS lying down in her carrier the whole way, as she was so tired.

A friend has suggested some sort of hormone spray. I really hope she grows out of it, as I have to travel 400 miles up North several times a year, and I do not want to have to leave her behind.

bumper

Visit site
YES! Thats it..DAP she said. Apparently you can get it in a spray too. Not convinced she is throwing up cos of anxiety any more.....she use to bark/whine/ howl, but no noise now at all. Do you think she just might have motion sickness?

CAYLA

Visit site
You could try running the engine and leaving her in a crate with the door of the boot open on the drive, where u can watch her and give her a kong with her dry meal and tuna or an uncooked butchers bone (see if she is happy to take it or if she is to anxious to eat it) if she seems ok, gradually increase the periods.
If she chucks, u will know, try cardboard under her as opposed to paper and cover the crate or carrier u put her in.