Car with high towing capacity?

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I'm looking to change my tow car & going to go & have a look around next week, will be in the market for something second hand a high towing capacity as where I keep my horse is very hilly & don't want anything which may struggle. I have a HB506 at the moment which I'm looking to possible change for an equitrek show trekka in the next year or so so that will be heavier too. I'll mostly be towing my 500kg welsh cob & friends 16.2hh warmblood.

I know its near on impossible but something with half decent MPG would be great as it will be my daily car commuting too. So far a Jeep Grand Cherokee, VW Touareg & Land Rover Discovery seem to fit the bill with a 3.5 tonne capacity but are there anymore? I'm not so fussed with pickup trucks as I like having a covered boot.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I have just bought a Mitsubishi Shogun short wheel base 2 seat automatic with huge boot space. It's tows up to 3t. I also have an IW506 and towed my 15.1 and 14.1 last weekend. It was brilliant, stable, plenty of power in our Cotswold hills and so far I can't fault it. Normal driving it goes in rear wheel drive and for towing 4wd and then there are 2 further settings for extreme off roading around the farm. The long wheel base version tows up to 3.5t and has up to 7 seats. It is quite a harsh ride because it is a work horse rather than a luxury SUV but I actually prefer it now I have got used to the difference.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Ooh thank you, some more for me to go & check out! My current car tows 2800kg but on long climbs up hills whichever pace or gear you choose the clutch starts to smell which has made me uneasy - its always done it but now its getting on a bit (15 years old) etc I think its becoming a matter of not if but when as much as I hate to admit it :( As for enclosing pick ups - can you get them watertight? I dont know whether its just bad luck but my two friend who have them with truckman backs complain of leaking? I keep looooooads in my boot so would need to be.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Admittedly our truckman top does leak very slightly! But it hasn't been enough to cause any problems...nothing in there has ever got wet, there's just the odd drip down one corner.

AandK

Visit site
Jeep Cherokee has 3.5t capacity as well as the Grand Cherokee. Some of the older Kia Sorentos can pull 3.5t as well, I think the Titan model is one, all the relevent specs can be found on Parkers.com

dixie

Visit site
Ssangyong Rexton
Nissan Terrano - although they’re quite old now
Jeep Cherokee - short or long wheel based

I’ve had all of these and they all tow superb. I’ve got a 511 and two horses and very steep Devon hills. My current one is an automatic Rexton, which also doubles as my day car.

SpottyMare

Visit site
Defender, Range Rover, rangey sport, Toyota Land Cruiser ... I can’t think of any others that tow 3.5 there are quite a lot that do 2.7 which would probably do tho

A show treka would definitely need a car that could pull 3.5t - 2.7 just wouldn't cut it, especially on hills. My star treka is a bit heavier, but even my disco notices some hills!

DirectorFury

Visit site
If you go for a Disco make sure you know the problems they suffer from - older ones rust and newer ones electrical problems that can only be fixed by a main dealer (££££).
I'd be looking for a 1989 - 1998 diesel Discovery and plan to spend what you save on purchase price on having it welded. The diesels will do up to 38mpg normal driving and ~32mpg towing. I am a bit biased though - we have 3 and I luff them.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Loads of great suggestions thank you! I had an old Terrano before & loved it but it didn't like the long commute to work & started to suddenly rust everywhere, I currently have a Sorento which again I love but I'm slowly accumulating a list of problems inc a mystery oil leak & clunking underneath which nobody seems to be able to solve :rolleyes: Will go & have a google now of all these :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Only buy a disco if you have deep pockets and a desire to fund your mechanic's expensive holidays ;) I'm leaning towards a Rexton for my next one!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Only buy a disco if you have deep pockets and a desire to fund your mechanic's expensive holidays ;) I'm leaning towards a Rexton for my next one!

I think I'm the only person in existence who didnt have any issues with mine, well until the day it failed the MOT for corrosion to the chassis, but it was ancient!

We've got a Terrano now. Much nicer to drive and much more car like. Considering its very advanced age and the fact its automatic its pretty economical on fuel when you compare it to the alternatives.

scribble

Visit site
We just brought a grand Cherokee with the Mercedes engine and gearbox- don’t buy the jeep engine. I have to say coming from a sorrento I live the jeep tows 3.5 ton and you seriously don’t know my hb511 and 16.3 we are on the back. Get the overland edition if you can, we managed to find one with full service history and only 45,000 on clock on an 06 plate immaculate!

sywell

Visit site
I'm looking to change my tow car & going to go & have a look around next week, will be in the market for something second hand a high towing capacity as where I keep my horse is very hilly & don't want anything which may struggle. I have a HB506 at the moment which I'm looking to possible change for an equitrek show trekka in the next year or so so that will be heavier too. I'll mostly be towing my 500kg welsh cob & friends 16.2hh warmblood.

I know its near on impossible but something with half decent MPG would be great as it will be my daily car commuting too. So far a Jeep Grand Cherokee, VW Touareg & Land Rover Discovery seem to fit the bill with a 3.5 tonne capacity but are there anymore? I'm not so fussed with pickup trucks as I like having a covered boot.
My Shogun tows 2 horse on level ground on tick over.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I think I'm the only person in existence who didnt have any issues with mine, well until the day it failed the MOT for corrosion to the chassis, but it was ancient!

We've got a Terrano now. Much nicer to drive and much more car like. Considering its very advanced age and the fact its automatic its pretty economical on fuel when you compare it to the alternatives.

Yours was a lot older than mine. Disco 1s and 2s are a whole other kettle of fish. On the other hand, Disco 3s are much nicer than Terranos to drive :p

phizz4

Visit site
The short wheelbase Shogun has a much choppier ride than the long wheel base, and, of course, less space. It also has a lower towing capacity of 3000 kg. Anything that can tow 3.5 kg is not going to be economical, both in terms of fuel and VED. An automatic makes towing so much easier and no clutch burnout to worry about. Pick up trucks can be good but access to the rear area can be a problem if you are not very tall, my wife's friend had to carry a set of steps with her so that she could get in to reach all of her tack. We are on our third LWB Shogun (current one is 12 years old) and would readily get another.

StableMum

Visit site
Jeep Cherokee has 3.5t capacity as well as the Grand Cherokee. Some of the older Kia Sorentos can pull 3.5t as well, I think the Titan model is one, all the relevent specs can be found on Parkers.com
I've got a 57 Titan and tow an Equitrek but only with one horse. It's a really nice everyday car to drive and tows really well. I get about 30mpg.

Britestar

Visit site
Isuzu D Max. 3.5t tow. I've not had any problems with my canopy leaking.
I tow a showtrekka L, with a 16.3 and a 15.1 cob no problems at all. I also have done 600 mile journeys south with it, and again no problems.

SOS

Visit site
Defender will tow anything, anywhere (you will never get stuck in a field!)... unless it breaks down.

However I see you said it has to be leak proof, so not suitable. In heavy rain mine is a damp experience. MPG is easy to work out on it though, can just about add it up using your fingers and toes!

Gazen

Visit site
I have a 2006 Kia Sorento that tows really well, I have 2 x 15h (circa 420kg, 440kg) horses. 3.5 tonne towing capacity. Fuel economy is OK, it is my everyday car so does a 45 mile round trip every day to an from work along 60 mph road.
The only down is that the tyres have to be matched left to right otherwise the automatic 4 wheel drive can drop in and out, but I guess you should match tyres anyway.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Defender, Range Rover, rangey sport, Toyota Land Cruiser ... I can’t think of any others that tow 3.5 there are quite a lot that do 2.7 which would probably do tho
Nissan Patrol, pathfinder, mitsubishi (although I never liked them), jeep grand cherokee...