Cardboard

C1airey

Visit site
I’m thinking of switching to cardboard bedding for my dust-allergic beast. Does anyone use it? How absorbent is it? He’s not especially wet in the stable, but he does like to wee in exactly the same spot, so whatever is beneath quickly becomes overwhelmed. I’m currently thinking cardboard with raw wood pellets in the wee patch.

Also, does it stay non-dusty? I was very much in love with Aubiose but even that got dusty after about 6mths 😏

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
I used cardboard for a while as it was the only thing my horse wouldn't eat. I loathed it, but it was definitely not dusty. I didn't find it very absorbent, though.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
Was it just the lack of absorbency which made you loathe it?
No, I found it a proper pain to muck out the poo as well.

I have seen it successfully used, but only when the bed was skipped out every few hours. Once the bits of poo are smaller than the cardboard squares, mucking out is a horrid job.

Britestar

Visit site
I use it and love it.

Non dusty, easy to muck out and cost beds.

However, it depends on the type of cardboard you use. There are small cut squares which are hopeless. They don't absorb wet, and slide over each other.
Then there are shreds, which are amazing. Lots of absorbancy, and easy to keep.

Pick your type carefully.

I have 7 on it, and can muck them all fully out in about 40 mins.

C1airey

Visit site
The squares were what I was looking at - I live close enough to the factory to get free delivery on a pallet. I’m not so worried re:absorbency as like I said, I’ll have wood pellets beneath (nothing else IME works for the wet, unless I could glue a bucket in the right spot 😂) and he’s a clean boy by nature.

Britestar

Visit site
I couldn't get on with the squares at all. I used to buy them from a recycling place who did shreds. The their machine broke, an they replaced it with one that cuts squares, so I stopped using it.

Now I have shreds again, its all systems go :)

lamlyn2012

Visit site
I've used cardboard for years and love it. Non dusty, very absorbent, easy to muck out and rots down well.
For me it's the quality of the cardboard rather than the shape. I've always had squares and have been fine but my (then) supplier gave me a few bales to trial which were from much thiner board and it was useless. I would try a few bales and see how you get on with it.

ihatework

Visit site
The square cut stuff is awful - we were at a 3DE and it was supplied for the stables and I vowed never ever to use it. Really tricky to muck out nicely.

A friend used to use some very finely shredded cardboard and that looked more workable

lamlyn2012

Visit site
The square cut stuff is awful - we were at a 3DE and it was supplied for the stables and I vowed never ever to use it. Really tricky to muck out nicely.

A friend used to use some very finely shredded cardboard and that looked more workable

Really!!
Well my horses bed is always pristine and can take out all the wet and poo really quickly. Small wet patch and poo stays on top. Job done in no time.
I must have a very clean horse then.