Career help!

Agent XXX999

Visit site
I really want to do my AI – do you think that I could self study?

Has anyone done this – I cant afford to give up work but really want to do it so I can…My instructor said I would be OK up to stage 3 riding (she has trained exam students) and 2 stable management - what is the best way/most effective way to do it ‘on your own’

Is it even possible?

I could easily get my teaching hours as yard next door is FULL to the brim of kids and adults who would cry out for lessons!

meandmyself

Visit site
I'd like to know that too!
laugh.gif

teapot

Visit site
Stage 1 to 3 - riding & stable management, plus R&RS, PTT then first aid course (equine specific) and the CPS

Stage 1 & 2 - SM will be fine if you've got horses/worked on a yard etc - stage 2 includes all the bones etc.

Stage 3 - I've been told that you do need yard experience say in a big RS or comp yard to do well in the exam (worked on a where to train yard for 3 yrs so got a lot of the insider tips). And once you get tos tage 3 level - it just can't be book learnt - you have to have practical experience

PTT - not sure I've met anyone who hasn't had some training for it.

And that goes for riding wise and say lunging for stage 2 - lots of little bits that come under the "BHS way" which they could technically fail you on.

Then 500 hours at a non approved centre ( you can do freelance but need insurance etc)

Oh and the big factor - cost of exam fees. Stage 1 complete is over £100 now

Click on the relevent parts of the diagram to get the relevent syllabus for each exam

RobinHood

Visit site
I don't suppose you have your pony club AH test? That allows you direct entry to PTT so you can clock up your 500hrs whilst trsingin for stage III. Just thought I;'d mention it as most people aren't aware of the exemption (much cheaper route too!).

Good luck xx

Agent XXX999

Visit site
So do you think that it would be a good idea to see how far I can get 'on my own' then I could get the rest 'done' in quite a short space of time...

teapot

Visit site
Oo yeah, if you've got your AH - much much cheaper route.

I would see how you go, especially for stage 1 and probs most of stage 2.

Best piece of advice I've always been given and we always gave to those who wanted training at the yard was book yourself a one off assessment lesson at a where to train yard, and they can give you a good heads up on what standard you're at etc

best of luck
grin.gif

siennamum

Visit site
I did it on my own, bought the books and turned up, it was great fun. It might help to have a couple of assessment lessons at an exam centre and pick your exam centre carefully - it can make the world of difference.