Carpus Valgus surgery before and after pics....

chevs

Visit site
For those of you who were interested in seeing the before and after pics. Very hard to take decent pics now as she doesn't do stationary anymore!!!

First pic taken at 3 weeks old, just before surgery. Second pic taken a couple of weeks ago, aged 10 weeks, a week after screw was removed.

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

Her hooves are a little mis-shaped after the glue on shoes but farrier very happy with them and confident she'll be 100%.

wizzlewoo

Visit site
What a fantastc result. I find it so interesting seeing pictures or surgery as in the general day to day life you dont always get to learn about the different conditions and treatments

Gingernags

Visit site
Its really interesting to see that, thanks!

We have a TB mare, now 20, who had surgery as a foal for that - but I believe it was staples used back then - so I can see what she was probably like.

She's still hacked about and as sound as a pound but slowing down a little so she's on Blue Chip Dynamic for her joints, just in case. Doesn't seem to have affected her at all in the long run.

Cute baby though, glad its gone well!

Whizz105

Visit site
Brilliant pictures! glad all went well! (bet that cost a packet!!)

Echo's is almost straight now, farrier said don't even need medial extension at this rate!! I too will post before and after pics...

Also can I be a cheek and ask for a recent picture of whole foalie?!! she is so lovely!

chevs

Visit site
Thank you all, I have to say I'm delighted with the result.

Whizz, I posted some photo's of her last weekend. You should be able to look back a page or two.

Glad your filly's coming straight, and yes it was very expensive!!!!! Cost £196 just to have the screw removed, and all that involved was a bit of local anaesthetic and a screwdriver, took all of 10 mins and I travelled her to the surgery. She has to be the most expensive foal, just as well she was always going to be staying.

Delighted with her and she is such a sweetheart.

Gingernags

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Cost £196 just to have the screw removed, and all that involved was a bit of local anaesthetic and a screwdriver, took all of 10 mins and I travelled her to the surgery. She has to be the most expensive foal, just as well she was always going to be staying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you feel any better that my gelding and complication bill came to over £1200? Mine didn't work out cheap either, and he was always a keeper so not a lot I could do!

chevs

Visit site
Between stud fee, AI costs, plasma, operation I'm up to about £4000!!!! None of which was covered by insurance, and she's only 3 months old, eek!!!!!!

chevs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Out of interest who was the surgeon?

[/ QUOTE ]

The surgeon was Patrick Pollock based at the weiper centre, glasgow vet school. Lovely, lovely man.

lacampbell

Visit site
I was one of those who asked for an update.
Thanks for posting these photos and info. You must be delighted. What a remarkable difference! Well done to all involved.

no_no_nanette

Visit site
chevs thanks so much for posting this, and its especially interesting for us as our foal was born with carpal valgus, and we had long discussions with our vet about whether to have surgery or not. In fact his leg has improved out of all recognition with a restricted turnout regime, and there is now just the slightest turnout from the fetlock down, which can be adjusted with the right hoof trimming over the next few months.

Our vet was recommending the periosteal stripping surgery, but it looks as though you had a different kind of treatment - what exactly did the surgery involve? I think its great to have information of this kind, as it can be extremely reassuring when you are panicking about a new born's legs to know that there is efffective treatment available if surgery is needed