Carrying a saddle around...

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
While posting a reply in this thread about making a halter, I thought about how I will carry my saddle when I start using it regularly.

My house is within easy walking distance of the riding centre, and I don't like the idea of leaving my own tack up there, so I have been thinking of how to carry the saddle.

One idea I had was to slip a couple of quick release fasteners to an old stirrup-leather, put that over my shoulder like a rifle sling and cli the quick release fasteners to the rings at the pommel.

I've seen hand-hold straps for sale for fastening to those rings, and they are supposed to be an aid for mounting. So at a guess, those rings would be solidly fixed to the tree and be strong enough to support the saddle's weight for carrying.

What do you think?

Antw23uk

Visit site
Riding centre? As in riding school where you go and hire a horse for a lesson and a hack? They usually have there own tack! Unless I've missed something?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
They do bags for saddles and they have a strap you can hang on your shoulder I know because I have one, I think it's a rambo one have had it years though so not sure they still do them.

Keith_Beef

Visit site
The centre does have its own tack, but it gets knocked around a lot, is often not clean, and the chance of a good saddle at a great price came along...

I'm not intending to start taking my own bridle, although I usually carry a couple of studs to do a quick repair. And I wouldn't know how to choose a bit, anyway.

Antw23uk

Visit site
The centre does have its own tack, but it gets knocked around a lot, is often not clean, and the chance of a good saddle at a great price came along...

I'm not intending to start taking my own bridle, although I usually carry a couple of studs to do a quick repair. And I wouldn't know how to choose a bit, anyway.

They wont let you use it, dont waste your money. there is MUCH MUCH more to saddle fitting than just buying one at a good price and plonking it on the back of a horse. Enjoy your lessons, dont buy any tack.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I believe that the op is in France.... And saddle fitting is, um, not quite the same over there.... So maybe the school is fine with it.

You can get bags for saddles op, but I could never get on with them and found it easier to just carry on my hip. Though possibly not so easy for you as I am guessing that you're male?

Keith_Beef

Visit site
Saddles need to fit the horse - you can't just take a saddle and put it on any horse? Is that what you are intending to do or have I misunderstood?

They wont let you use it, dont waste your money. there is MUCH MUCH more to saddle fitting than just buying one at a good price and plonking it on the back of a horse. Enjoy your lessons, dont buy any tack.

I spoke to the instructors before buying it, and I'm not just going to plonk it down on a random horse; I'll be trying it out under supervision.

There are also a few small repairs I can do to, to learn more about saddlery.

I believe that the op is in France.... And saddle fitting is, um, not quite the same over there.... So maybe the school is fine with it.

You can get bags for saddles op, but I could never get on with them and found it easier to just carry on my hip. Though possibly not so easy for you as I am guessing that you're male?

I don't know what most centres are like, but a friend and former colleague also has all his own tack for school horses and rides the same two or three horses all the time. And yes, I'm a chap, so my hips are probably not the same "conformation" as yours, DabDab ;)

Last edited: