Carrying tail to one side...

KatB

Visit site
Does anyone elses horse do this? My boy does it all the time, but seems to be fine in his back, we know his saddle fits and I sit centrally (most) of the time!! But hes always done it, and carries it quite high. Is this a sure sign that his back is out??!
crazy.gif
Any thoughts appreciated!!

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Otto does this too, carries it high and always to the left.
Have had two different back people look at him and there was absolutely nothing wrong with him. I thought it might be because he was stronger on one side as a youngster? He was doing it tonight; I think it's just habit!

KatB

Visit site
Thats nice to know, ive only had physio out to him once, and was fine then, he is due for another one. My physio give me loads of stretches to do with him to keep his back supple, and he still does those, and also does "cat stretches" when you run your nails under his belly which is meant to be good??!!
confused.gif
Then someone told me his back must be out cos otherwise he wouldnt do it, pleased this necessarily isnt the case!!

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Look at my dressage photo in my siggy and you can see he's doing it there. Everything has been well checked (saddle, back, teeth etc.) and I really do just think it's just habit. He does hold it straight as well but never to the right. It's never been picked up in a dressage test and he goes alright, so I'm sure he's ok!

KatB

Visit site
He certainly doesnt look like a suffering horsey!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
Thanks J, pleased to know someone elses does it too!! How is your gorg boy? And Blackie??

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com

Ar, he's good thanks. Went out on a nice hack tonight, got to get them in while we can. Off XCing on Sunday, so fingers crossed he behaves himself. It's the place he reared at last time we went. He's getting lunged before we go!
Blackie is absolutely wonderful!!!! I lunged him over a few poles last night and then put up a tiny jump (literally 2ins of the floor) and he really enjoyed it. Still didn't get out of 2nd gear but was really picking his little legs up.

How's your gorgeous coloureds!!! Have I shown you a picture of Ella my old coloured pony?

KatB

Visit site
Cool sounds good, good luck with the XC, sure youll be fine, looks like he's come on leaps and bounds since last time you went!! And Blackie is Ace, have you seen BobletLeCoblets posts on Bob jumping? he's my old cobby, and he certainly could jump, but same as Blackie, can never be bothered to go out of second gear at home!!

Goddy is fab, exploded this week, in a new field
blush.gif
but got his first ODE on sunday, so a tad apprehensive, looking forward to it though!! You aiming to get Otto out competing? Certainly looks capable from what ive seen??!!
grin.gif

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com

Oh good luck with the ODE, can't wait to see the pictures!! Your horse really is stunning!

BobletCoblets's Bob is absolutely fantastic and yes I have seen the posts! If Blackie turns out half as good as him I will be very, very happy! I think Blackie is going to have a good little pop on him!

Yes defiantly want to get Otto out more. Gina is doing her Trailer test in November so we will be able to get out more without having to rely on OH or Mum.
I think Otto is capable but not sure if I am! Otto is better at the old stressage then he is at the jumping at the moment, but he is getting stronger and starting to lift his legs rather then just going through them. I'm hoping next year will be our year, Otto will be rising 7 then and broken 18 months.

KatB

Visit site
Oh bless him, i didnt realise he'd only been broken that long!! He looks fab! And you look more than capable, both of you look fab together, so i'm sure you'll do a fab job, and its all about enjoying it really!!
smile.gif
His dressage pics look very impressive, and the jumping definitely seems to be catching up!

My horse (Godfrey, by the way, not public knowledge!!) looks like a barrage balloon on legs at the mo, so desperately trying to deflate him, otherwise we'll be walking round the XC!!
blush.gif
But thank you, I'm hoping he'll turn out nicely
smile.gif

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
i have known lots of horses that carry there tails to one side and then when they pooh it goes higher into a fan shape

i have 3 horses that do it -- and i have been in horses a long time
didnt and doesnt mean a thing -- its just ther make up

K9Wendy

Visit site
It can be a sign of Arab in the breeding, Bee does this, back been check ect and the Physio mentioned that she looked as though she has some Arab in her (3/4 TB) Certainly moves like an Arab when the notion takes her. Also she seems to do it more when in season, usually only at a walk too.

sevenoceans

Visit site
Below in the picture is my 100% TB (he has Arab ancestor dating back in 1700's after that was TB's) and look at his tail... he carries it quite high, my old anglo arab mare did excatly same and both was in great physical shape.

KatB

Visit site
Fantastic, thank you everyone, put my mind at rest!! Don't think Goddy has got arab in him, though he can certainly look like it when he wants!!
tongue.gif
Think hes just a bit of a show off.... Thank you though!!
smile.gif

Scarlett

Visit site
hmmm... my coloured has had back probs which a bit of McTimoney seemed to solve, before the treatment he held his tail to the left and slightly high, this stopped once he was sound again. However, he has started doing it again even though he doesnt have any other symptoms of back issues - I have a chiropractor coming out to check him over again...

very interesting to hear that some peoples horses do it even though they are sound....

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
Dorey did it when her topline was weaker, it's now pretty much central unless the sun's shining.... (hussy!)

He may just be a tad week behind... especially if everything is okay.

It COULD be a back problemo, especially if it's come on recently and fast, but if he's always done it, it could just be habit!!