Castration...

Grey_Arab

Visit site
Just wondering whether anyone else had had this sort of experience? Assisted in a castrastion today of a 3 yr old semi wild colt that came from the new forest sales 2 weeks ago, vet kncked him out in the feild and down he went, kneeling on is neck with one hand on his neck the other on his head...she had just put the clamp on to stop the blood from the removal of the first ... 'part' ... and he suddenly just leapt up despite my whole weight on his neck. He then went running round in circles with the clamp still attached. Had to perform the rest of the operation stood up, and had a simlar reaction when the clamp was attached for teh second time despite having more than the recommended dose!!!!
Sorry if this is a bit long, just wondering whether this was normal or not???
ooo.gif

selina25

Visit site
my shetland came from Dartmoor he was just 2 when I got him and I had him done, but he was done standing up and was sedated completley (sweating etc) if you gave him the correct amount of sedative as recommended for the average horse based on size there is not much more you could have done i,e. sedative can kill so you have to be careful sounds like a feisty horse/pony I would not worry just make sure he heals ok hopefully wll not have a mental scar and be nervous....

good luck

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Never known one to get up when knocked out completely but when they are wild it is harder to guage the amount of sedation whatever size they are. Temperament has a lot to do with it, I have known wild 15hh's have a whole tube of sedalin, actually making them wilder.
Why was he on the floor in the first place? I assume, because you finished him standing, he wasnt a rig. Its a lot quicker and easier to do them standing.

Grey_Arab

Visit site
Well, I'm not sure why the vet wanted to knock him out as he is only 13hh(she seemed to think that it would be quicker?), but he still isn't great to handle, will be led etc but not really very well.
He was also very aware that he owned them and he had obviously used them so that may have had something to do with it? He had also had more sedative than a normal horse of his size as he was 'a bit bright' as the vet put it??
Thanks

pocket

Visit site
Have had one done lying down and had no problems. My other three boys all had theirs standing up. Fly my beautiful old sect D palomino (RIP) took about 3 doses of sedation before the vet could get near him? The vet had never had to use so much sedation on a pony before? He continued to have that type of attitude with vets etc until he passed away at Christmas god bless him.