Cat behaving strangely - Any ideas?

3Beasties

Visit site
Our youngest cat is nearly a year old. During the last couple of days she has been wondering around the house miowing (sp?) at the top of her lungs (but not her normal ' Can you feed me' Miow!).

None of our cats have ever done this before but I was thinking that she might be in season/heat (or whatever cats have!
blush.gif
) as she has not been spayed yet. What do you think?

bellaboo

Visit site
Agree with the above post, the yard cat is under a yearr old and has been crying and crawling along the floor, yard owner took her in yesterday for neutering

3Beasties

Visit site
Thanks all, thought that was the case but just had to check. We have had cat's for years but none of them have ever behaved how she is at the moment.

She will have one litter of kittens and then will go in to be spayed, this is what we have always done with our female cat's and we have never had any problems.

jinglejoys

Visit site
Has she got any siamese in her? THey can be noisy at the best of times but when in season......! Wow
grin.gif

Do you really have to have a litter off her?Thats probably another few female kittens which will have one litter and before you know it.............

3Beasties

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Has she got any siamese in her? THey can be noisy at the best of times but when in season......! Wow
grin.gif

Do you really have to have a litter off her?Thats probably another few female kittens which will have one litter and before you know it.............

[/ QUOTE ]

No she doesn't have any Siamese in her (at least I don't think so!).

We have never had a problem finding loving permanent homes for any kittens we have had so I can't see it being a problem with a future litter (I already have a waiting list of people wanting one of her Kittens as she is the sweetest cat imaginable)
If for some reason we can't find homes for them they will have a home for life with us - and will be neutured before they start re-producing!

Silverspring

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We have never had a problem finding loving permanent homes for any kittens we have had so I can't see it being a problem with a future litter

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you don't but any home taken by one of your kittens is a home that could be taken by a rescued cat/kitten. So for every kitten you home you are basically leaving another one in the cat shelters.RSPCA.

[ QUOTE ]
If for some reason we can't find homes for them they will have a home for life with us - and will be neutured before they start re-producing!

[/ QUOTE ]

But you always take one litter off the females so say she has 5 female kittens, none of them can be homed. You'd then take 5 litters off said 5 females and they could have 5 each so you'd then have 25 kittens needing homed. any of them that could be homed would then have to be bred from before neutering...

Sorry but that is utter madness and it does not affect their health NOT having kitten.

3Beasties

Visit site
IF we couldn't find homes for them that is completely different as we have never had a problem re-homing them in the past. If now we did have trouble re-homing them we obviously would not allow any of the kittens to have kittens.

I am not having a debate as to weather I should allow my cat to have kittens or not as it is my choice. Just like it is someones choice to breed a litter of puppie or a foal.

And yes I am FULLY aware that it does not affect there health if they don't have a litter.

Fizzimyst

www.catsprotection.co.uk
I agree with both PS & OP

I am part of Crawley, Reigate & District Cats Protection and every year we end up with large numbers of kittens, I believe last years total number was somewhere in the 90s, so many unwanted kittens. Kittens having kittens, its so sad and a huge drain on our resources.

But we dont judge people and if someone is able to find someone homes for their kittens and those kittens are able to have happy lives then great.

Its just a shame we end up with so many unwanted that are in need of homes and still people breed more without knowing where they are going to home them to.

Good luck with the screaming cat, I would rather you than me. And I wait with dread to see the state of the unwanted litters we end up with this year.

Good on you though for finding them suitable homes.

edited to say luck not like

amiacat

Visit site
I got 2 kittens just after Christmas and they came from a private breeder. I would have loved to have rescued 2 kittens, and I did look into it, but they turned me down as I didn't live in the middle of nowhere (I don't live near a major road, but I do live on a road, don't most of us?!) and because I wasn't home for 5 consecutive hours during the day!! Utter madness!

Rescue centres say they have too many cats and kittens in shelters and it breaks my heart to see them but if they were more lenient with which homes they went to then they might be able to rehome more. My boys are safe and loved to within an inch of their lives!!

And the experience has put me off going back to a shelter to try to rehome any more animals that I may get in the future.

Silverspring

Visit site
i just rehomed a cat from an independent schelter (reg charity and all just not the cats trust or the sspca) and they never asked anything like that.

You could always just lie and tell them what they want to hear!

Fizzimyst

www.catsprotection.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
I got 2 kittens just after Christmas and they came from a private breeder. I would have loved to have rescued 2 kittens, and I did look into it, but they turned me down as I didn't live in the middle of nowhere (I don't live near a major road, but I do live on a road, don't most of us?!) and because I wasn't home for 5 consecutive hours during the day!! Utter madness!

Rescue centres say they have too many cats and kittens in shelters and it breaks my heart to see them but if they were more lenient with which homes they went to then they might be able to rehome more. My boys are safe and loved to within an inch of their lives!!

And the experience has put me off going back to a shelter to try to rehome any more animals that I may get in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I've got to jump in here!

I dont know what charity you went to, but I have never heard anything so ridiculous in all my life!

We look at every home and person individually, have a chat with you about what kind of cat you are looking for and then match you up with cats we think are suitable. You then choose from them. If we havent got anything suitable this week, probably have it next week, since so many are always on the waiting list.

With regards to living in the middle of nowhere, I would have to assume, since I dont know much information on it, that the cats in question would have come from the middle of nowhere.

If we deem someone to live on a busy road, not just a main road, but sometimes a fast road such as a long stretch where you may not get a constant stream of traffic but the cars you do get come haring down there, then we would perhaps only home a streetwise cat there, or suggest an indoor only home.

We wont home a cat (or a kitten) on a busy road if it has never seem traffic before because more often than not it'll end up squashed. We wont home a kitten in to a home where everyone works full time, its not fair on the kitten plus they do need feeding through the day as well as some interaction.
If someone can pop back through the day to feed them, then we're fine with that. But we dont home a single kitten in to a home where people are out all day, it isnt fair on the kitten unless someone can pop home to feed it, and it has another cat or kitten to interact with.

But I have never heard such stipulations as you are talking about and if we had these rules, we would never home anything!

3Beasties

Visit site
I also went to a rescue center before getting the cat in question and I was also turned down due to where we lived - On a narrow country road!
confused.gif

amiacat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I've got to jump in here!

I dont know what charity you went to, but I have never heard anything so ridiculous in all my life!

We look at every home and person individually, have a chat with you about what kind of cat you are looking for and then match you up with cats we think are suitable. You then choose from them. If we havent got anything suitable this week, probably have it next week, since so many are always on the waiting list.

With regards to living in the middle of nowhere, I would have to assume, since I dont know much information on it, that the cats in question would have come from the middle of nowhere.

If we deem someone to live on a busy road, not just a main road, but sometimes a fast road such as a long stretch where you may not get a constant stream of traffic but the cars you do get come haring down there, then we would perhaps only home a streetwise cat there, or suggest an indoor only home.

We wont home a cat (or a kitten) on a busy road if it has never seem traffic before because more often than not it'll end up squashed. We wont home a kitten in to a home where everyone works full time, its not fair on the kitten plus they do need feeding through the day as well as some interaction.
If someone can pop back through the day to feed them, then we're fine with that. But we dont home a single kitten in to a home where people are out all day, it isnt fair on the kitten unless someone can pop home to feed it, and it has another cat or kitten to interact with.

But I have never heard such stipulations as you are talking about and if we had these rules, we would never home anything!

[/ QUOTE ]

The association in question was the RSPCA.

We live in a quiet cul-de-sac and we wanted 2 kittens (so that they could keep each other company whilst we were both at work). We even took time off work when we first got them so that we could spend all day with them and get to know them. They had never seen traffic before, but they seem to be doing fine, and have worked out that cars are scary!

A friend of ours came up against the same problems with regards to where they lived and the fact that they worked. But they were only after one kitten so I can see why the rescue places want to rehome more than one kitten. Our two learn so many skills from playing (and fighting!) with each other. I think that is really important to have interaction with another cat.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I just want to express my frustration that I tried to help some homeless kittens but came up against a brick wall.
frown.gif