Catching a pony!

coolcookie

New User
Visit site
Hi, can anyone help... I was supposed to be riding a friend's daughter's pony while they're on hols, a chap is going in to feed, turn out etc. I was just supposed to pop up a couple of times a week to exercise and check on things etc... However, pony, a 12yr old mare, has decided not to be caught. She positively flinches everytime you move anywhere near her and runs off cowering. Even when we do catch her, she still trembles. I've been spending time with her in hand, grooming and petting, have grazed her in hand and have ridden her no probs, but turn her out and she turns in to Mrs Trembly! Have tried following her around quietly, sitting still near a bowl of feed, have taken her carrots, hay, apples, have tried free schooling her. Any suggestions on how to catch her please?? (Apart from keeping her in???)

coolcookie

New User
Visit site
It gets them listening to you, burns off some energy, and might even make them walk towards you when they're done... makes them realise that being caught it less effort that being out in the field... Am I totally misguided???

ruscara

Visit site
Rather than think of strategies to catch her, perhaps give some thought as to why she seems so anxious in the field? It does seem rather extreme from what you say.

fjudge

Visit site
I think that what coolcookie has done (free schooling, like a join up idea) will help, because it sound to me as though the pony is slightly afraid of being caught if it trembles? Please correct me if im wrong.

Free schooling may encourage it to be more relaxed when it is not tacked up/on a head collar and enjoy the company of a human whlst its loose and therefor not dread being caught. x

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Rather than think of strategies to catch her, perhaps give some thought as to why she seems so anxious in the field? It does seem rather extreme from what you say.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, it does!
frown.gif

We have had to deal with various 'catching issues' with our lot but not one of them has been due to anxiety/fear, which is quite worrying actually!

Could she have been teased in the field by passers-by or something or is she generally nervous around people she doesn't know very well?
What about the chap who comes to feed her etc., can he catch her? If so, maybe you could ask if he would accompany you a couple of times, so she has at least one familiar face coming to get her?

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I really can't see what good it would do though if your chasing said pony around an open field, you really need a fairly small area to do it in.

coolcookie

New User
Visit site
I have wondered about why she is so anxious, but in the field she is totally calm, grazing happily and even comes over to the gate, seemingly asking to come in, it's just that as soon as you go near her she flinches and charges off. I don't know whether it's her stable that makes her anxious, rather than the field... Don't know whether to leave her out... Her routine has always been to be out during the day and in at night, so am trying to keep to her routine - also, haven't got a spare couple of hours a day to catch her, and don't want to leave her out without picking her feet out etc. Don't know if she has taken a dislike to the chap that is looking after her, or whether she's just being a chestnut mare!

fjudge

Visit site
Thats what i thought she meant...once the pony has been caught, doing some free schooling to gain its confidence and trust.

Make lots of fuss of the pony once its been caught and when you let it off back out inot the field, give it a treat as soon as you take the headcollar off so that it is stood with you, and if it allows you to stroke it as well. It will not fix over night, give it time and be as calm as you can with it in the field.

We bought a pony once basically because we felt sorry for him. He would stand stock still but would be shaking due to fear. He had scars on his face and had very obvioulsly been through a rough time. He use to bolt and he eyes would be on stalks so you could see the white bits. After 2 years he had dogs and everything running around his legs and is now with a young girl who is having the best time ever with him. Sorry ive gone off the topic!!!

But im sure the problem will be sorted if you go about it the right way. F xx

ruscara

Visit site
As JAK has suggested, can you perhaps accompany the man who is looking after her, and see how she responds to him - and how he is with her. This might shed some light on the problem.

coolcookie

New User
Visit site
Unfortunately, he has less success with her than I do - and think he tried for three days to catch her before he rang me and told me he was struggling - so she might just be taking the pee out of us, or might not like him/us - or might just not like being in her box. I don't think anyone else has been tormenting her, as she is on private paddocks behind the owners house. She does know me fairly well, as I have been going up there for a few months once or twice a week, helping out with lessons and hacking etc.

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I really can't see what good it would do though if your chasing said pony around an open field, you really need a fairly small area to do it in.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree & with a nervous pony in an open field, you're just saying 'predatory', so she's just going to avoid you even more!
I would've thought a more 'passive' approach would be better!

Our sec B can be a demon to catch sometimes & the most effective method is to wear him down with an almost hypnotic soothing voice, admiring him, telling him he's clever & beautiful etc
Eventually, he just can't resist it & lets himself be caught & admired further! (Obviously, he isn't fearful, just awkward! LOL)

Try 'shadowing' her every move, yes but keep it all very low-key, with slow, gentle movements & a soft voice with minimal eye contact etc., keeping her attention on you all the time & backing off slightly if she seems anxious!
Back off slightly too if she turns towards you & be as 'passive' as possible, as she sounds quite scared from your description! The idea is that she comes to you obviously but you may not achieve this in the time you have if she genuinely is frightened!

Good luck!
smile.gif

fjudge

Visit site
Maybe you should go out there without a head collar and just spend a short time with her everynow and then. That way she wont be thinkng about the headcollar and if you give her treats and stuff it may help her to want to be with you and also give her confidence that you arent going to do anything to her x

coolcookie

New User
Visit site
Guys, thanks for your help. I have tried the 'shadowing' thing, but I think I've blown that - I tried it the first couple of times to catch her, but only had about half an hour so had to give up!! When we have caught her, I've spent ages petting and grooming her and leading her in hand and have let her graze on a lunge line and called her back to me, patted her and given her treats for coming back and then walking away again etc, to try and show her that when she comes to me, she'll only get love and treats. You're all right, I'm trying to overcome her 'terror' in a couple of weeks, when if it was my own horse, I would accept that we had a lifetime together to grow trust! Oh - and the free schooling thing, I promise I wasn't chasing her around, but was standing in a corner of a field, and telling her to trot, or walk or canter etc, no big yah yah flapping arms thing! She was doing exactly what I asked, I could even tell her to wa-alk and staa-and, and she did - let me get to within 6 inches of me slowly walking towards her, open body language, gentle movements, and then she'd turn tail! Oh well, I'll persevere. Thanks for all your replies

C

coolcookie

New User
Visit site
Her field is about an acre, but she's on a sectioned off 1/4 of it, with a shetland for company. Have tried bringing the other one in, and have stood petting the other one to see if she'll come over, have given the shetland a carrot and stood petting it with it eating out of my hand, to show that I am nice really - but with no joy, she just ignores us!

Tia

Visit site
Have you tried taking a book into the field; ignore her totally and just sit there for an hour or so reading your book. After she has come up to you a few times, gently stroke her without looking at her. Horses are naturally curious and she will come to you eventually.

Just out of interest; does her owner have trouble catching her? This is really the owner's job of spending hours doing not much of anything, to try to get her over this problem. Good luck though.

coolcookie

New User
Visit site
Thanks tiaribbon, that's a lovely idea. I think time is the problem - I have a full time job and a horse of my own (that I've just moved to a new yard, so am trying to spend time settling him in!). The owner's have had problems in the past with catching her. I have another week left until they're back, so I think I can only do what I can. They come back and take her straight to pony club rally the next day, and the few hours that I manage to find a week to go and see her, I wanted to use them constructively schooling her, keeping her in her routine and keeping her fit, rather than trying to catch her!! Thanks also JAK for the shadowing advice - it was good to know you think that's a good way forward.