Cattlegrids and horses

ameeyal

Visit site
Do cattlegrids and horses mix, me and my husband viewed a property to buy that had grids along the drive, with the farms fields on both sides of the drive. we love the farm but im concerned about the cattlegrids.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I would certainly be concerned, I know of a case when a horse spooked, charged off & raced across a cattle grid..........I won't describe the injuries.....but he had to be put down on the spot.

If it was possible to remove the grids & fill in the holes I would still consider the property though....but the grids would have to go.

be positive

Visit site
I also know of 2 ponies that got loose and ran into them, one sustained horrific injuries but survived, the other broke its leg and was pts. I would not have them with horses that have no experience of them, in the New Forest and other places they are used all the time.
They are easily filled in using concrete, it is nearly impossible to find the perfect property so would not put me off as you can remove the risk.

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
Cattle Grids will cause horrific injuries to legs.

If there are large agricultural gates beside the cattle grids then you can gate off and padlock the grids and use the gates.

If you want to keep the grids, say if the land is in a registered parkland and you're not able to remove them, then install electric gates over the grids so they open at the click of a button, and that way you don't have to get in and out of your car all the time. Install alternative access to the land through an adjoining gate.

If not fill them in as people have suggested.