CBD and behaviour in horses

Kind horse lover

Visit site
My horse is on CBD for arthritis and I’ve increased it by a small bit each week as it’s not done that much for pain relief. This last week he has become more reactive and spooky. The CBD is in powder form with no fillers. He needs a big dose because of his size. Previously I tried a different supplier with a coconut carrier and he went a bit bonkers and kept bolting when we got up to the full dose of 6 tablespoons, although it helped his mobility. I put it down to the coconut carrier causing the increased anxiety. But now I’m worried it’s the CBD causing the problem. Has anyone else found this?

Fransurrey

Visit site
Yes he can go back on Bute if necessary. I was hoping for something more natural.
Try not to get caught up in 'natural is better'. If they wouldn't willingly eat it in the wild, it's not natural. You're also not controlling the dose of the active ingredient and bear in mind that large doses of anything can be a gut irritant, including CBD.

CBD has in fact been shown to damage the gut lining and disrupt the microbiome in humans and mice, which may or may not explain the change in behaviour. You could always ask for Danilon if it's long term.

Kind horse lover

Visit site
Try not to get caught up in 'natural is better'. If they wouldn't willingly eat it in the wild, it's not natural. You're also not controlling the dose of the active ingredient and bear in mind that large doses of anything can be a gut irritant, including CBD.

CBD has in fact been shown to damage the gut lining and disrupt the microbiome in humans and mice, which may or may not explain the change in behaviour. You could always ask for Danilon if it's long term.
Thank you so much for your helpful reply. My horse is back on Bute and off CBd and comfortable again. Vet said not to change anything else at the moment but after a couple of months we can discuss switching to equinox as it’s kinder on the stomach. I didn’t know CBD can damage the gut lining.

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Cant help on the behaviour front but i got sucked in with the cbd reviews and gave it a go on 3 different horses with arthritis and a dog, no difference with all after a month and i wasnt gunna buy another tub to trial any longer!

SEL

Visit site
I've got one that does very well on it - but it's her PSSM / muscles that respond rather than joints I think.

Loads of horses get spooky on it though so it's hit & miss

My littlest cob zones out & gets sleepy - I use it when the farrier is due (she's not a fan). Does nothing for her other conditions.

Kind horse lover

Visit site
Cant help on the behaviour front but i got sucked in with the cbd reviews and gave it a go on 3 different horses with arthritis and a dog, no difference with all after a month and i wasnt gunna buy another tub to trial any longer!
Yes some amazing reviews! I’m curious as to which supplier you used. Good to know it’s not just my horse that is the exception.

Did you find something else that works?

Kind horse lover

Visit site
I've got one that does very well on it - but it's her PSSM / muscles that respond rather than joints I think.

Loads of horses get spooky on it though so it's hit & miss

My littlest cob zones out & gets sleepy - I use it when the farrier is due (she's not a fan). Does nothing for her other conditions.
Good news that one of your horses does well on CBD.

Good to know other horses get spooky on it not just mine.

Great result with the farrier though!

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Yes some amazing reviews! I’m curious as to which supplier you used. Good to know it’s not just my horse that is the exception.

Did you find something else that works?
Hempine was the one that i used.

One horse is now on bute, one is doing less work and one had arthramid.
My dog is going to weekly hydrotherapy and is improving all the time