CC on jumping pretty please?

daydreamer

Visit site
I got a video camera for Christmas and tried it out this morning filming some jumping. I would be very grateful for any comments about the video or the riding! I have edited so each video is only about 1 min long.

http://youtu.be/JAScX0tlup8

http://youtu.be/xUEHGOlynvA

The jumps are only tiny and i know i get it wrong sometimes (i think i tip forwards and we lose balance). The quality isn't great as my laptop struggles a bit with video so I didn't record on the highest quality setting.

Thanks!

cc14

Visit site
Im no expert, but I would say it might be worth putting up some trot poles before the jump so she takes off on the right stride and you know when to fold? Looks like she catches you off guard sometimes.

daydreamer

Visit site
Thanks for having a look, yes i should probably put a placing pole out. I am always worried about putting it in the wrong place though :( and i need to read up and see if it is safe to have poles on both sides of the jump as it is useful to be able to jump in both directions. Jumping and distances etc is not my strong point!

jalapeno

Wherever the wind takes me.. usually somewhere on
Visit site
You are very tall and slim :O No you cannot put poles either side of the jump. I think a good instructor and some grid work would be of benefit to both you and your horse. You sit nicely though! Perhaps give a bit more with your hands over the fence. All horses vary with the trot/canter poles they need.. You should practise with and you will get to know what is correct for your horse (a good instructor will also help you with this) and then you can progress onto grids.

LouS

Visit site
If you're really struggling with your strides you can put 3 or 4 canter poles then pop your fence at the end of them, this will regulate your canter into them putting you on the right stride. I always put a pole after as well, put as many as you want, its all good to regulate the canter. Is your a horse a horse (that sounds ridiculous, I mean is he a proper horse and not a pony?), if so to approach in canter you want 12ft between each pole and the fence, 4 of your steps.

Even if just popping one fence I will always put a pole before and afterwards. The pole on the other side makes them look down and encourages them to make the correct shape over the fence.

Gridwork will definitely help you.

be positive

Visit site
You can put canter poles either side of the jump but not trot poles as the horse may land in canter and could land on a pole.When you approach in trot sit for the last few strides ,this will help you stay in a better balance as a couple of times you were rising as she was taking off and that caused you to feel unbalanced.

If you could have a few lessons it will help to give you some more ideas and learn about suitable distances for your horse.

daydreamer

Visit site
You are very tall and slim :O

yes but i have short little stumpy legs so often look all out of proportion! And i have no lady lumps :D

I think I will definitely try canter poles next time, he is a real horse - about 16'1 though he has a bit of a mincey little stride!

I haven't done much jumping at all on him so don't really know his stride lengths etc. I have a couple of lessons booked for in a few weeks and hope to book some more. I haven't really had any yet as i have just been working on getting him to bend and not fall over his own legs.

I did find jumping from canter much easier - i must remember to sit, well spotted!

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Im have the same problem as you op and I feel canter poles would be beneficial. Whats the ideal position (spacing) to have them? Bearing in mind my horse is 16hh with a big WB stride!

LouS

Visit site
12 feet (approx 4 of your steps) is the average bog standard horse stride that is used at shows etc.

shampain

Visit site
I agree with the advice of using poles and doing a bit of gridwork that's already been suggested - but I also have an extra little tip.
This might not necessarily work for you, but it's something that my RI suggested I try when I was having issues with timing into jumps & going with the horse's striding. Try counting through the days of the week from the moment that you strike off into canter, so 'monday, tuesday, wednesday...' etc etc. Allocate one day to each stride, and make sure that you keep them going once you've got over the jump - it helps to stop things falling apart. Okay, so it can look a little strange cantering around the school shouting out days of the week, but it helped me out massively with timing, so I thought I'd just pop in and suggest it. ;)