cellulitis

cellie

Visit site
Does anyone use a preventative medicine.Everytime my mare gets small nick in her fetlock it turns to mud fever type symptom then cellulitis.I dont want to keep dosing with anti biotics.
I found small scab this morning cleaned it and covered with betnovate from vet, heat and swelling always improve after excercise ,came back from hack and swelling had gone .Stabled for few hours and her leg was all swollen again with heat and she was lame.I have restricted turnout so have to stable few hours during the day and I know it will be all blown up again tomorrow.

Dubsie

Visit site
I'm prone to cracked heels and coupled with wandering about barefoot everywhere this has led me to be prone to cellulitis since ignoring the symptoms about 8 years ago, and thinking I just had flu, went to doctors and got antibiotics at the point I couldn't keep even a glass of water down without being sick, but of course that meant I couldn't keep antibiotics down and I ended up in hospital severely dehydrated with acute kidney failure and expected to have dialysis!

Now at the first sign of cracked heels I rub in some lavender oil, if I forget and feel I'm beginning to get an infection - I get a little itchy about the ankle on whichever side the crack is - I use tea tree oil which kills pretty much anything I think. I rub it into the cracks and also over the skin where it's itchy. Always does the trick, not had antibiotics since. I would suggest a tea tree oil wash and/or cream is well worth trying and could work well for your mare, it's readily available for humans and is definitely antibacterial....you can also get tea tree shampoos and conditioners too.

PennywithHenry

Visit site
My gelding's like this too. After his last bout, and finishing his Trimedazine I was advised to use Tee-Tree shampoo and wound cream-will have a look later and see what the vet gave me and *touch wood* it hasn't returned...though it could be because of the drier conditions etc....

cellie

Visit site
Thanks that might be helpful
I think managment is the key and have thought about a fetlock boot for turnout as she always nicks the same area.I have wondered if she does it when getting up from lying down.
What breed is your gelding ,shes a tbx although she more full tb to look at.
Im going to check same spot for wound each time shes groomed.Shes not injuring herself when being ridden as I make sure she has brushing boots on.

cellie

Visit site
Much better this afternoon small amount of heat and swelling but not lame thank goodness.Caught it early enough I think .I wash with iodine type solution then use betnovate but was looking for something preventative.I think she injuring herself getting up or in the field .She must be kicking the inside of fetlock in same place and has constant scab on inside of leg. Its so tiny you cant see it and can only just feel it.If shes opening it up with her shoe then shes reinfecting it .Once its healed ill probably use Ollies turnout boots on her.
Did you find a horse this weekend.
wink.gif

Fiona

Visit site
I have had to resort to using back boots for turnout all year round with my mare. She is so prone to cellulitis behind (she must have no circulation at all in her back legs), and any little graze would lead to a course of ABs, lame and sore.

Fiona