Cellulitis

Oberon

Visit site
Yep. I put my old man away one Friday night and when my friend came on Sat morning he was dog lame and leg swollen.

Emergency vet (in my absence) diagnosed tendon
thumbsdown.gif

I had to wait till Monday for another vet and I told him it was cellulitis or lymphangitis.
He agreed
wink.gif

He had 5 days of IM antibiotics and a course of bute and he was right as rein.

I also cold hosed in an upwards motion each day.

It was terrible at the time. He was dragging the leg and I was hysterical, thinking he was going to die
willy_nilly.gif

obicellulitis.jpg

rhino

Visit site
My boy had it a few years ago, he had been kicked in the field - it was fairly minor but as the vet was at the yard at the time he looked at it and covered the wound/bandaged it but said he would be better turned back out.

Next day went to find a horse with 3 spindly thoroughbred legs and one elephant one, swollen right up to the elbow and with a lovely yellow ooze dripping down the back of his leg :( Cue major panic and vet back out, but with cold hosing, bute and some antibiotics (was left to inject daily) the swelling went down fairly quickly :) Vet thinks he got some dirt down the bandage which rubbed and led to the cellulitis.

ETA Oberon - it looked even worse than that, no definition of fetlock or knee at all :eek:

Last edited:

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
My boy had cellulitis associated with ringworm (!) on his quarters. Hideously lame, on three legs, really sorry for himself. After a couple of days on antibiotics and bute he was back to his old self.

Looks really awful when they get it but easily treated and responds to antibiotics quickly afaik.

Bertolie

Visit site
I have never come across cellulitis before so can anyone tell me what it looks like? The reason I ask is that my daughters horse has suspected ringwork on chin and face but now seems to be spreading to neck, shoulder and legs. The skin on his neck feels rippled?(dont know how else to explain it lol!) Could this be cellulitis? He is on antibiotics (powdered) anyway for a reaction to his vaccination (poor boy is having a tough time at mo). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread :eek:

Jade&Syrah

Visit site
I have never come across cellulitis before so can anyone tell me what it looks like? The reason I ask is that my daughters horse has suspected ringwork on chin and face but now seems to be spreading to neck, shoulder and legs. The skin on his neck feels rippled?(dont know how else to explain it lol!) Could this be cellulitis? He is on antibiotics (powdered) anyway for a reaction to his vaccination (poor boy is having a tough time at mo). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread :eek:

^^ How dare you hi-jack the thread :p;)

It's swelling down the leg :)

Bertolie

Visit site
Oops sorry :D

Can they get it anywhere or does it only appear on their legs? Sorry if thats a numpty question but although I have heard of it I have never seen it!

Jade&Syrah

Visit site
i'm a cellulitis noob as well.. never seen it, but as far as i know i think its just legs... dont quote me tho, im sure someone on here will correct me :D

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
The mare in my sig had it in her near hind, vet left me with IM anti-b's and bute, 3 days later no improvement so out another vet came who got us to take her to the clinic for stronger stuff, she was there for a week and came home much better and had to continue with the IM anti-b's for another week and was still sore.

sally87

Visit site
cellulitis is an infection of the deep tissues of the skin. in HUMANS it can be anywhere, not just the legs. I dont know about horses but I dont see why they wouldnt be able to get it elsewhere.

Bertolie

Visit site
i'm a cellulitis noob as well.. never seen it, but as far as i know i think its just legs... dont quote me tho, im sure someone on here will correct me :D

Just googled it and found this:

Cellulitis is the swelling of tissue just beneath a horse's skin that generally occurs as the result of an infection. The condition most often occurs in a horse's leg, but can show up anywhere on its body.

Useful to know.

Piglit

Visit site
Know nothing about it with horses but I've just had 2 really bad cases of it on my face for the first time in my life and I can tell you right now it was horrific...absolutely awful.

Tnavas

Visit site
A swollen leg is not necessarily celulitis - Celulitis is caused not just by increased lymph but also infection by bacteria. It's treatment is hard on antibiotics.

Just been through it myself and had to take horse pills 4 x a day for 10 days!

vicksey

Visit site
My boy had it associated with a little cut. Awful at the time massive swollen back leg it was like an elephants leg. 16 days antibiotics and 11 bute and a bit of turn out daily and he was fine. But very down and wouldn't eat until medication started working. Hope your horse picks up soon!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My ID mare got cellulitis from a graze on her hind leg (below the point of hock), didn't respond well to the 1st course of A.B.'s with painkillers, started a 2nd course and got septicaemia, which proved fatal. I don't want to worry you, as many horses do recover well but it doesn't do to be complacent, if you have any doubts at all get the vet back out.

Horseback Rider

Visit site
My TB has had it twice from minor cuts. I didn't know what it was the first time but the second time I caught it early.

If you are unsure do not hang around get the vet !

Marydoll

Visit site
Cellulitis is well worth the watching... Keep a close eye on the horse thats got it, if it doesnt look like its responding well to antibiotics, get the vet out again it may respond to another one. it can get worse quickly if you dont stay on top of it and be very painful and debilitating for the horse
If you have any doubts or worries about how the horse is responding id urge you to talk to your vet again