Centaur's Jolly Jack??

eventer28

Visit site
Hi, I have an appaloosa x WB mare that im considering putting in-foal next year. My mare is 16hh and shows, show-jumps, and events and I'd like to breed an athletic youngster with spots. Has anyone got progeny by Jolly Jack or does anyone know youngsters/horses by him?

spottysport

Visit site
Hi
My friend has a Jolly Jack that she bought with her dam. They are both plain coloured but the mare was in-foal to JJ again and produced a near leopard.I think you take your chances. I put my very spotty mare to solid coloured event horses (except grey of course) and she produces spots. From experiance I would put a solid stallion on a spotty mare, or a spotted stallion on a plain mare. You don't mention if your mare is spotted or has appaloosa characteristics. Hope this helps!

eventer28

Visit site
My mare is spotty, she is grey/white and has a blanket! She has striped hooves, the white shows in her eyes and she has blotchy pigmented skin. However, she is out of a grey WB mare so im aware that the spots may ( I think they are) fade out in time (I can e-mail you a pic if you like) Why would you put a solid stallion on a spotty mare and spotty stallion on plain mare? Why not use spotted on spotted?

AtiraApps

Visit site
You can of corse put a spotty to a spotty! The best colour producers are few spots to solid- this is a very good colour producer!
I see that your mare is out of a grey mare. This is a ressesive gene and unfortunatley can show up generation after generationand allthough the resulting foal may be born beautifully marked- 50% of the time unfortunatley will fade to grey.
Have you logged on to www.spotties.org.uk ? It is a site dedicated to spottie enthusiasts and you may learn an awful lot from the dedicated breeders/owners on there!
It is also a very imformal site- and l can guarantee you will have a lot of fun !!!!!!!!!!

Hope that helps....Trish.x.x.x.
P.S. Jolly Jack beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eventer28

Visit site
Thanks.
cool.gif
. I have looked at that website but there forum is empty??!!!
confused.gif

spottysport

Visit site
Trish is right, it could be that your mare has the greying gene. But you do have a 50% chance of a spotted foal.
If I were you I would put her to the best (solid or spotted)stallion I could, and consider it a bonus to get spots. I have never seen JJ in the flesh, so can't comment, but I believe he has a good competition record.

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Hi,
I have a mare by Centaur Jolly Jack, the mare with the foal in my sig below, but I can email you photos if you want.

Jack is a lovely stallion, and very friendly, and is competing at 2* events, and the Dobsons are a lovely family.

Freckles ended up being 16hh, she has a great temperment, can jump, has done very well in the show ring, in fact Jim Dobson bred her for eventing, but then I came along and bought her. This year I had my first (and last) foal with her. I enjoy riding her to much for her to be a brood mare.

BUT wether he would put him to a possible grey is another matter, some breeders will, some wont as it is very frowed upon in the appalooas world due the the fading gene.

www.spotties.org.uk is back on now, its a great site for all spottie owners

oh, the girl who has Freckles 'full' sister goes on there too.

Jenny

spottysport

Visit site
I don't actually know who would be the 'best' spotted sport horse as I use solid stallions! When I WAS looking I couldn't really find anything that I personally wanted to use, so I ended up using stallions like
Fleetwater Opposition, Catherston dance in the dark, and next year hopefully Primitive proposal. I would think JJ would be one of the best as he has a performance record.

spottysport

Visit site
Just had another thought which maybe Trish or Freckles could say if it would work?? If you used a TRUE breeding bay, that would overcome your mare's greying gene. As your mare has the appaloosa gene (she has characteristics), isn't there a good chance it would come out with some sort of coat pattern?????

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Im no good at genetics, so I cant help there,
is your appy mare roaning out, or is she fading???
email me some photos of her, jendeakin@aol.com

but on colours, Freckles is a leopard, I put her to a chestnut roan with a bit of spotting, and got a chestnut with extended blanket photo of sire http://pets.webshots.com/photo/86282441/1371941672048906964yOomDT

Ticky who is a Liver chestnut leopard, I put to a few spot and got a bay near leopard. (Ticky was born chestnut with a blanket but spotted out)

are you not getting anything up from the spotties site at all?? ive just clicked the link and its working for me

Jenny

AtiraApps

Visit site
Jenny.......he got on !LOL...but we know what happened next
grin.gif
Come on Ben...........come back to spotties.org !!!!!!!
I bred my leopard mare (not with a lot of coouring on her) first to Jayen Tyshion......and got a bay blanket with snowflake spotted bum.....then last year used Private B Riker (blk blanket).
We got the most FAB BLACK BLANKET filly (Image of dad) guess the genetic makeup clicked !!!!!!!!! Next year l am useing a black leopard stallion imported from the U.S.A. with 5 gen black leopard breeding...so heres fingers xxxxxxxx.