Chafe free girth suggestions?

Gingernags

Visit site
I have for years ridden Asti in only leather girths, originally an atherstone but then changed to a balding for the last say 2 years.

I changed because one day after a fairly long hack, she rubbed a sore patch in front of the girth. I always make sure the girths are sweat free and clean, but its now happened a couple of times with the balding aswell, especially after the endurance ride we did and she has another sore. Well its healing over now but has rubbed the hair off.

Any suggestions for a good girth for a sensitive skinned chestnut? Oh and this ONLY happens on one side (near side) in one particular place just in front of the girth...

It seems to be when she gets really sweaty but as she's still out 24/7 I'm reluctant to clip just yet...

Scoopy

Visit site
I had the same problem, saddle company advised a wintec chaffless girth, i have never had a prob since, and you can pick them up cheap second hand on e bay ?
smirk.gif

ExRacers

Visit site
I have the same problem also on a thin skinned chestnut TB! I use a Cottage Craft Atherstone girth with the CC neoprene girth sleeve over it and he has absolutely no rubs whatsoever. The sleeve only cost about £10. If money is no object then you could go for a sheepskin or fleece sleeve but they are not so useful in winter to keep clean. The neoprene one can just be wiped over after use.

Visit site
our TB has a cottage craft nylon girth. It is easy to clean (to stick it in the washing machine) and is very soft and comfortable. my cob got a small girth gall from my leather girth so I use them on him too and they are very comfy and also look very smart. (you can get them in black, navy, burgundy and more) I would highly recommend them.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Professional choice girths are the best IMHO (although expensive)

You can sponge off the neoprene (no washing mashine issues), they do not rub and chafe and help stop saddles rolling.

runaway

Visit site
Either make (just needs some basic sowing skills) or buy a couple of girth guards! I rode my TB in his leather atherston girth when I first got it and it gave him sores as the sweat had nowhere to go. Since ridden using same girth but with a cloth girth guard and never have a problem. When the guard gets dirty chuck it in a bucket of water or the machine.
cool.gif

Petalpoos

Visit site
I have been using a Stubben string girth on my 4 y.o. chestnut trakehner for the last 6 months. She is v. thin skinned, but it has not made any marks at all, however sweaty she has got. Absolutely brilliant. I am totally converted from the atherstones and balding girths I used to use.

S_N

Visit site
Stubben Cord Girth - excellent!! I bought one for sister's horse, for her birthday and she hasn't looked back since! He is a VERY fine skinned TB!!