Chaff for oldies

Peglo

Visit site
If you fed an old horse with poor teeth chaff, just for something to chew on whilst inside, would you wet it or feed dry?

I’ve been told not to feed her hay as it’s too long but she chews on grass and maybe manages to swallow some so would like to keep her in the way of chewing while she is in overnight.

windand rain

Visit site
My old girl has great teeth but would still soak chaff for a few minutes before feeding to prevent choke Oat straw chaff isn't as attractive so not quite so likely to cause gorging so wouldn't necessarily wet that as it might not be eaten quickly enough

Peglo

Visit site
My old girl has great teeth but would still soak chaff for a few minutes before feeding to prevent choke Oat straw chaff isn't as attractive so not quite so likely to cause gorging so wouldn't necessarily wet that as it might not be eaten quickly enough

perfect. I did wonder if that would be safest. She doesn’t really gorge herself but better to be on the safe side. Thank you for your reply. ?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I feed my oldie Simple Systems Haycare which is a Timothy hay nut you soak mixed with some soaked spillers fibre cubes. This is the first winter he’s not been able to eat hay so I’m still experimenting with amounts and variations. He eats grass fine but I’m not convinced he can manage a chaff as they’re rather tough and I’m wary of choke. Sometimes he eats it all and other times he hardly touches it. He’s only been in overnight when we’ve had heavy rain so he’s not that settled into a winter routine yet.

Peglo

Visit site
I feed my oldie Simple Systems Haycare which is a Timothy hay nut you soak mixed with some soaked spillers fibre cubes. This is the first winter he’s not been able to eat hay so I’m still experimenting with amounts and variations. He eats grass fine but I’m not convinced he can manage a chaff as they’re rather tough and I’m wary of choke. Sometimes he eats it all and other times he hardly touches it. He’s only been in overnight when we’ve had heavy rain so he’s not that settled into a winter routine yet.

yes my first year too. I have her on a mix of grass nuts and speedi beet as her big bucket and 16+cubes and ready mash for her supper. Someone suggested readygrass so I bought some of that and it’s really soft so hoping she is getting some of that in her too.