Chaff Storage

AFB

Visit site
Can anybody give me an ingenius way of storing my chaff securely from rats?

I usually just leave it in the bag as I use chopped oat straw and I can't see anything being particularly interested, however YO is having a crackdown on feed being left lying around so I need to find something to store it in.

My issue is the normal round feed bins don't hold it when compacted in the bag as it's too rectangular and doesn't fit to the bottom of the bin, & doesn't hold a full bag if you take it out and de-compact it - can anybody suggest anything more suitable? To add to the difficultly I also have limited space, enough space for another round feed bin so something no wider than one of those but can be taller.

Fingers crossed I've overlooked a really obvious solution!

Antw23uk

Visit site
Didnt someone post about some Ikea storage/ bins the other day that took whole sacks of feed and were stackable so you could in theory have two stacked to take one bag between them? Let me have a look as off to Ikea Monday so need to go on the website anyway :) (any excuse)

little_critter

Visit site
Didnt someone post about some Ikea storage/ bins the other day that took whole sacks of feed and were stackable so you could in theory have two stacked to take one bag between them? Let me have a look as off to Ikea Monday so need to go on the website anyway :) (any excuse)

I have some stackable feed bins (not Ikea ones, but very similar). They take a whole bag of feed, but they wouldn't take a bag of chaff.

ihatework

Visit site
Wheelie bin holds a large bag of chaff.
Or look for an old chest freezer and dispense with all the individual bins

AFB

Visit site
Wheelie bin was my first thought but I don't have the space unfortunately - I had thought of a proper galvanised feed bin but I can't push funds to that pre-Christmas so an old chest freezer would be a good alternative

Annagain

Visit site
If you take the chaff out carefully in big chunks rather than pouring it out of the bag, and keep squeezing and compacting it as you go, you can get a bag of chaff into a plastic dustbin. It's quite an art (I put a large tubtrug on top of it every few chunks and then stand in it to tread it all down) but it does work if you're pushed for space.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site

AFB

Visit site
I have these bins in 110L and they easily take a bag of chaff and in some brands 2 bags. They are also quite sturdy with lockable handles so are a bit more rat proof than some.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110L-85L...hash=item4d2831633e:m:mL-w9Ez5EJlHLgm-KoWjpMw

I've linked to the plain black ones but they are also do them in bright colours though they are more expensive.

Ah the 110L bins here look like a good option - they are fairly straight (i.e. they don't narrow to the bottom?) from the looks of it so might just get the bag in compacted?

Smooshy

Visit site
I have previously used a wheelie bin, just as tall but maybe half as wide. Could easily put a bag of readigrass in, either loose or in the bag. Only slightly bigger than the round dustbins.