Chainsaw noise and headshaking in horses

Echo Bravo

Visit site
A couple of times my OH has done a bit of woodcutting with his electric chainsaw and each time my foal has gotten distressed, he's not worried when OH started machine, but the noise, he just kept shaking his head, first time it happened when he was in his stable, having his supper as you do the other horses aren't bothered, so OH got yelled at, but this morning he was out in his paddock, and he had the same reaction, the noise kept making him throw his head back, which in the end had him distressed, as soon as OH stopped he was fine, anyone else had the same problem.

frankie8

Visit site
My mare does this to the sound of a grass strimmer. Her eyes will go almost sleepy looking and she'll toss her head. I just chat away to her and once we have passed and the noise is in the distance she stops.
She also will toss her head if we have a sudden drop in temperature, a storm is brewing or it's very windy. Again, her eyes go all sleepy looking and she really twitches her head and then tosses it a little. Her eyes get all itchy too and she'll gently rub them agaisnt you.
It has gotten better the longer I have had her, asked the vets but they were clueless without further investigation. It's not really an issue to be honest as it so rarely happens these days. Funny thing it is though.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
I agree, he's not worried, but everytime OH starts the chainsaw, he throws his head back, and as soon as OH stops he stops and my other horses aren't worried at all, so maybe my foal has extra senstive hearing.But he is a little headshy to begin with, HUMM!!