Challenges for the year?

pottamus

Visit site
So what challenges have you overcome with your horses this year...or what have you achieved that you are particularly proud of...?
I have started endurance/pleasure rides (as you will see from my other post!) but I did not think it would be possible at the start of the year. I took my horse to a couple last year and he was a complete head case...spooking everywhere and leaping about. But this year we have really got into it and we will have done 18 by the end of the year! I stand to win awards with two endurance groups for mileage awards and number of rides done...so will be well chuffed with that!
smile.gif

We have also conquered alot of monsters and demons together too...so he is a more solid horse and less spooky too.
What about you guys....

Rambo

Visit site
Well, I set out to be jumping BSJA again by the spring after a break from riding of 20 years (started again in September 2005), I actually got to my first BSJA show in December 2005, and won my first 1.10m in May so have certainly achieved what I set out to do in that respect.

I've also experienced some massive downs this year in terms of injury to both me (groin strain) and my horse (viral infection and anaemia) causing long outages to our competition career, but we seem to have bounced back from those now, and are progressing well again
smile.gif

samp

Visit site
I have managed to get my mare from loading like a nightmare and then whilst loading stressing out and sweating up to. Now we normally take 5mins max to get her in and we can now leave her in the lorry without sweating up and stressing out.

We have also managed to get her out to her few dressage shows with no drama's couple 1st and 2nds with highest score of 74%. On a downer we have come a cropper couple of times and now is doesn't like something hacking tends to try and spin and bugger off. Ask again in few months and we will have overcome this minor issue

UKa

community.webshots.com
managed to go to our first sponsored ride this year and intend to do some more in future! as usual however, life got in the way of all those plans of going to shows and doing more but hey, also lost a bit of confidence in jumping and hope to pick up on that next year - on the other plus side we recently moved to a nice yard really close to home where she is really happy and I enjoy being back on DIY after many years !

ihatework

Visit site
My main horse hasn't had a great year, he tore a ligament in January so has been out of work, he started up again last month and so *touch wood* will stay sound.

I have been wanting to buy a baby for a long time and in March did just that, so I count that as an achievement, he then went on to be placed in the PAVO top 8 despite having not ideal conformation!

Other than that I suppose qualifying a friends horse that hadn't been competing for over 5 years for the BD regionals. And riding another friends horse in my first county WH.

KatB

Visit site
Being a working pupil for 8mnths.

Completing first PN without falling off, and with a sub 40 dressage.

Doing first ODE on my own baby.

Sorry thats more achievements.... but challenging too!!
smile.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
Got npapy pony placed at several events plus jumping up to 80cm.
evented my boy at pre-novice and got placed!

Nic

Visit site
We affiliated BE & BSJA.

Were placed at Intro level & had a bash at PN.

Were placed BN, Disc, 1.05 & did a NC.

And most unexpectedly qualified for the Scope Festival!
shocked.gif
grin.gif

Sadly we were cut short in August when he was diagnosed wih arthritis in both front coffin joints.

However I am most proud of him for recovering from this, hopefully we will event again next season, keep everything crossed
smile.gif
!

Oaksflight

Visit site
Overcame loading fear, overcame worming fear, a lot better with vets, overcame clipping fear (to an extent). Brought his confidence up jumping but still a long way off. Got him schooling nicely and producing good lateral movements. Got a long way to go still though.
frown.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
I am cheating as I have a youngster so have done loads.

This year I have achieved

Wearing tack, long reining, lunging, walking out, loading, going to shows, clipping and in the next few weeks, backing.

4whitesocks

Visit site
- Found my 'horse for life' (having had two disasters and scoured the country for 6 months looking for Sid)

- brought him (with a lot of help) from only ever having hunted, totally one-sided, never been in an indoor, outdoor, never seen coloured poles...to where he's totally comfortable with coloured poles, jumped clear over 90 and had one stop xcountry at his first ODE (not me as pilot but I still got him there)....

- bought a house in the country and enough land to keep him on (my dream for so long) next year we get the stables built

- and most important of all, I think, I had developed a real bond with him...despite the fact he's on full livery and I don't 'do it all by myself' which some people seem to think is 'cheating' in some way....he's my boy!

RobinHood

Visit site
I got my first baby horsie to work with. (He's officially my mum's but I think he's mine
laugh.gif
) We have done leading, picking up feet, clipping, traffic, spooky objects, lungeing, tack, he's learnt all the aids and goes out hacking .

Won the pony club horse and pony care championship at sansaw
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
and in doing so I effectively got my name in h&h for the first time although they had the wrong name listed :p

Passed my pony club A test care

Passed my driving theory test last week. It is almost horsey because soon I will be able to drive to the yard and have more time to do my horses.

fairhill

Visit site
Mine (young un) - hacked out on her own. Leading other horses on 12 mile hacks. First trailer ride. Did Prelim dressage and got over 60%. Been to a couple of local shows and managed to canter in the ring (she's been a nappy b'gger!).
Mum's happy hack - taught to canter on the right leg (it's took me 6 years, so I'm very proud of this). Qualified in prelim for Derby house championships, but didn't go, and won her first RC prelim dressage comp in big class. Not bad for a cart horse...

MagicMelon

Visit site
I always set myself a target competition wise - so like to move up a level BSJA or qualify for something etc. I had about 4 targets this year and accomplished them all! Although I made up one last minute target which I didnt reach (4 BE novice clears to qualify for next years big aim of a 2day Novice - only got 3 but then I only did 4 novices).