Champion Barren Mare Dies.

severnmiles

Visit site
Royal Welsh Champion mare dies on the way home from Llanelwedd
frown.gif

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
god thats terrible,what was the mare's name?i did work experience at fronarth stud years ago and they always do so well,and have a love of cobs,so am really interested to know,will have to investigate
poor mare,poor owners too

severnmiles

Visit site
I don't really know, I heard it was tied short and tried to lay down on the way home and strangled itself but I'm not sure of the truth in that so don't quote me on it, I'll try and find out.

briardy

Visit site
oh my God thats tragic ......which mare was it ?please post any extra info? really feel for the owners....and of course the poor mare .we take traveling livestock so much for granted ,i think nothing of traveling 5hoursto a show...but when awful tragedies like this occour its a real wake up call to check horses regularly while in transit.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
How incredibly sad..
I heard some funny stories when I lived in Builth, of cobs kept in totally blacked out stables for weeks before the show, transported in blacked out boxes and then the blindfold removed seconds before the ring so they would have sparkle showing.
Obviously nothing to do with the above sad event, sounds more like colic to me and the mare tried to lie down....
Poor owners, they must have been on such a high then opened their ramp....

severnmiles

Visit site
I know its awful. You wouldn't be far wrong HH, many old school cob breeders keep their stallions in dark boxes and they don't get turned out. Alot still 'singe' the hair off around the ears/goaty beard e.t.c for showing and sales prep. They are still pretty traditional.

I've not heard anything more on the mare.

tiggie

Visit site
I was told that horse was owned by one person shown by a second and transported by a third.
When they opened the ramp she was dead.Apparantly they are doing a pm,but the person I spoke to wondered if it could have been the heat.
Very very sad.

fjudge

Visit site
I heard it was tied to tight and must have strangled to death. It is so tragic, im so sorry for all those who were involved, my thoughts are with you x

Jazz1

Visit site
Is this the mare from Fronarth stud??? If so why was she on TV last night in a follow up show & at her home?

Iestyn

Visit site
Really? I was watching Cefn Gwlad the other night (Welsh country programme) and it was showing the mare and her foal coming home from the show to a very respectable stud in Cardiganshire. Am I thinking of the tight one? The champion of champions?

severnmiles

Visit site
Champion BARREN mare, she had no foal at foot. So I'm guessing you're thinking of another one.

I missed Cefn Gwlad, which stud was it in Cardiganshire (Ceredigion)?

severnmiles

Visit site
The mare's name was Geler Perl owned by M. Corrigan, shown by Ernest Grant, she won class 93 Barren Mare and went on to become Reserve Female Champ.

sarahrees

www.myspace.com
just read this on another forum

We just wanted to thank everyone for all their messages and the telephone calls we have received regarding the sad passing of Geler Perl.

It took a whole team to get Perl to the Royal Welsh this year and we would like to take this time to thank Steve and Anne Mason for taking Perl down to the show for us and allowing us to use one of their stables. Had it not been for them, then she would never have got there and never achieved what she did.

Also a big thank you to Ernest Gant for showing Perl for us. This was the first time that Ernie had shown Perl for us and she went like a dream for him. Thanks also to Lisa Breeze for preparing Perl for the ring on show day. Perl looked absolutely stunning thanks to her efforts.

What can we say about this tragedy. Perl was perfectly well when she was taken out of the stable on Friday morning. She loaded without hesitation and was fine when Steve checked her at Oswestry. What went wrong between then and getting home an hour or so later is a complete mystery.

We are now waiting for the results of the PM from Leahurst. All we know for now is that she did not have a weak heart and there are no physical signs that anything was wrong. The blood tests will not be back until Wednesday.

As soon as we know the cause we will post a message, but we just wanted to set the record straight as there seems to be so many different stories being circulated.

It has been very painful for us to post this message as you can imagine, but we would ask everyone please not to speculate on the cause until it is confirmed by Leahurst.

We have posted a memorial in the orbituary section as a tribute to our beautiful girl.

Annette & Mick

My heart goes out to the owners of a stunning mare