Chancer finally turns into Little Devil

Theresa_F

Visit site
I have been spending the last couple of months carefully backing Chancer - he does 15 mins ridden every two weeks and we have been doing things extremely slowly with plenty of time to let him take onboard each stage.

To date he has been perfect - now after 2 months we can walk, stop on a squeeze, walk on with a squeeze and turn reasonably well. Last time even did a little trot to finish. No hint of any bucks, etc. In fact it has been apart from wobbly turns easy to forget he is a just sat on horse he has been so good.

Today when asking for a simple turn something upset him and he decided to start bucking - boy that little horse can bronc for England - stayed on for three then we parted company. Instructor said "little sharp today and they were some bucks he did". Luckly landed on my bum so was well padded.
smile.gif

He was very upset after doing a circuit of rodeo without me and I think frightened himself as needed lots of reassurance that all was ok. Went back to being led and we did finish by doing the turn nicely off the rein.

Too old to do this - have a few aches which a hot bath and bottle of wine should ease.

Oh well at least he is now a normal youngster rather than a little angel.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Thanks, the other helpful thing my dear instructor said, was at least he is only 2 1/2 - imagine what he would be like in a year's time.

Before backing, I had my vet and physio check him out. No wonder they he is very mature for his age - he has a lot of muscle for a youngster - proven by how high he can get his backside in the air.

I expect to have a few more hit the decks, but would appreciate it if he gave me plenty of time to recover - don't bounce so well now I'm in my 40s.

Parkranger

Visit site
arrggghh sounds like you had the same sort of Saturday I did! We had 4 feet off the floor and a spin....

To the amazement of my hacking mates I landed on my feet!

My tip is to grab the opposite side of the saddle to the side you're falling and wrench your feet around....bet I can't do it again though!

x

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Oh bless him, he sounds like he is going to be sooooooooo much fun when he is all grown up! If he is that athletic already just think how well he will jump!!!!

I hope you aren’t feeling to sore though!