Chances of a good home ?

bonny

Visit site
Has anybody any experience of trying to give away a horse free to a good home that's worked out ? I know all the dilema's surrounding this but can't think that's it's better to pts a healthy horse rather than give it a chance of a future. The horse in question is a big tb, 12 years old .....

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
Do you have someone in mind? If you can sell him/her for £1, that way new owner takes on full responsibility, and you can't be held responsible for any vets bills etc. Of course, this is selling rather than loaning, but if you are happy to give him/her away, then I would suggest the above.

Obviously don't advertise him for £1 but if someone comes forward offering a home, then this is what I would suggest!

bonny

Visit site
No one in mind, was just wondering about the ethics of advertising a horse for nothing .....

blueneonrainbow

Visit site
Dont put a healthy horse to sleep is what I would say, especially if he is only 12.. Theres always someone who is on the lookout for a decent horse and if he is free, all the better. Just try and vet any prospective new owner to ensure they arent unscrupulous dealers or something.

contiki's mum

Visit site
i gave my exracehorse 2 a friend of a friend worked out great. a woman at livery yard i know gave a few horses away but it was 2 ppl she knew. i wouldnt advertise it free or for a £1 try word of mouth.

bonny

Visit site
He is an exracehorse and big and I find it hard to see why anyone would want him - I certainly don't know anyone who would ....

pinklilly

Visit site
Why do you want to give him away? I advertised mine for sale to weed out those who just wanted a free horse, I accepted a token amount £200, he was suitable for light hacking.

contiki's mum

Visit site
is he ok 2 ride work with etc? if so i dont see you having a problem! mine was 15 when i gave him away perfect to work with n hack out but total nutter when asked to go in a circle or jump! he evented b4 i got him!! i would mayb put a loan ad for him talk to local rc see if they know of any1 and take it from there?

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
does he have behavioural problems? Why would you be wanting to give him away, just because he is a big ex racer? Plenty of us have them and i know someone with an 18.1 ex racer so not sure where you are coming from. Which part of the country are you?

Tiffany

Visit site
He is an exracehorse and big and I find it hard to see why anyone would want him - I certainly don't know anyone who would ....

Bonny why do you think noone would want him? Personally I wouldn't advertise him for free because I'd be worried someone would take him just to pass him on again. Think someone has already mentioned loaning him with a view to buying for a nominal fee.

Why don't you want him?

bonny

Visit site
I just find it hard to see what future he has, there's plenty of horses looking for a home who would be easier to keep and to ride. Plus he would need to go to an experienced home and the type of person who i imagine being able to manage him would surely want something younger with more potential.

bonny

Visit site
Maybe I should add he's already been sold cheaply and come back so a loan isn't possible and doesn't really solve the problem

FestiveBoomBoom

Visit site
Does he have behavioural issues? Is he dangerous? It's difficult to say without knowing what he's all about.
Plenty of people out there would like a decent sized ex racer and 12 isn't old. If he is just a quirky sort then I don't see any reason why he couldn't be sold, maybe try project horse website? However, if he is a genuine danger for any reason then PTS would be my preferred option than giving him away where he could potentially be passed around and have a miserable life

skint1

Visit site
Is he good/reasonabel-ish to load?
Does he have a reasonable temperament on the ground? (perfect not neccessary-but would he kill a timid handler?)
Health issues?
Vices?
Would he enjoy a home with plenty of long hacks, local rc stuff including fun rides,1 day events and local horse shows? Is he able to jump?

Or would he enjoy being a happy hacker that went to a few fun rides and local shows?

I know 2 people who may be looking for horses right now, both have experience, particularly with ex racers, which is why I ask.

NeedNewHorse

Visit site
I don't really get it. What's wrong with him?

Why would you want to give away a perfectly good horse, 12 isn't old, big isn't a problem (unless you are trying to sell him as a lead rein.. !!!) and what's wrong with a TB?

What has he done before?

Most importantly though do not sell him or advertise him for free. Nothing good will come of this, should you know of someone who wants a horse and you want to give them to him good. But only if you know this person to be genuine. If you advertise for free you will get someone dodgy or someone trying to make a fast buck, so you wont know wheres he's gone anyway.

horseandshoes77

Visit site
dnt be offended but you seem to be very evasive when questioned about this horse.....12 is by no means old...loads of people like forward going ex racers....what is wrong with him ?

Height shouldnt be a prob.....is he dangerous?

second what every1 else said...give him away or sell for 1 well hes nt going to have very good life...will be passd from pillar to post.

would help if you gave a little info on him 1

D

Donkeymad

Why did he come back?
very sorry, but I think there must be something you are not teling us. Plenty of people wold pay good money for the horse you have barely described to us.

bonny

Visit site
I'm not trying to be evasive, what I really wanted to know was whether people thought it more ethical to give him away or have him pts and I really can't see why anyone would want a horse like him .
16.3 12 years old, has raced under rules and point to pointed.
Not bad to handle but needs to be in an experienced home with people who understand tb's otherwise I think he would get the upper hand. Not great to tie up but fine otherwise.
Ok to hack, but doesn't do waiting at junctions etc.
Jumps, obviously in his career and I guess out hunting but I doubt he's done anything else.
Nice looking horse if you like big tb's !
Not great to get on, won't stand and wait !
Any takers ?

Umbongo

Visit site
I'm not trying to be evasive, what I really wanted to know was whether people thought it more ethical to give him away or have him pts and I really can't see why anyone would want a horse like him .
16.3 12 years old, has raced under rules and point to pointed.
Not bad to handle but needs to be in an experienced home with people who understand tb's otherwise I think he would get the upper hand. Not great to tie up but fine otherwise.
Ok to hack, but doesn't do waiting at junctions etc.
Jumps, obviously in his career and I guess out hunting but I doubt he's done anything else.
Nice looking horse if you like big tb's !
Not great to get on, won't stand and wait !
Any takers ?

TBH a lot of people buy horses straight out of training that do a lot worse! He doesn't sound as bad as you make out and I am sure you would get lots of takers for the right price. If you were to give him away for free or £1 to a good home as others have said, do not advertise him as such unless it is to someone you know. I am sure there are a lot of people that would be willing to buy him!

Last edited:

jensheff26

Visit site
please be carefull if giving him away someone will see you coming and he will be passed from pillar to post, can someone on here help you

FestiveBoomBoom

Visit site
Well he doesn't sound dangerous, I assume he doesn't tank off, rear, buck terribly etc? Those are the kinds of things I would say ethically it would be kinder to put to sleep rather than give away for free. I still think you could sell him for a relatively decent amount. Preferably a home with lots of off road hacking so that he doesn't have to deal with busy junctions and not wanting to stand still to be mounted, well that's a typical ex racer trait so wouldn't be put off by that either.

Rachaelpink

Visit site
My friend (who's on this forum) got an ex racer for free- straight from race track. Think she was 8 when she got her from forum- think it was saddlesoap. Needed totally re-schooling. She's now doing unaffiliated ODE, SJ etc. So yes would of thought there would easily be a few takers, it's weeding them out to find who's likely to keep it and give it a good home.