Chances of colic after scoping

Connemara24

Visit site
Had the vet out today and she thinks hes got ulcers so would like to scope, so we are going to book him in..but just wondered what the chances of colic are after? He is 24yrs old and Connemara if that makes any difference and he hasn't had colic before from what I know of, he has had very mild choke once which was sorted by a soupy feed. Thanks

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Sorry not sure on exact chances but my mare has been scoped 4 times over the years and never coliced or been unwell during or after treatment, sensitive chestnut warmblood . If that helps

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I don't believe.colic is a major issue after a scope , one of mine was scoped several times and never had an issue.
Just make sure he comes around fully from the sedation and then provide a wet feed , something like Fast Fibre or sugarbeet.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
It wouldn't be a *huge* concern for me, definitely if they stay in hospital; they're in the best place and will receive a mash and then forage will be introduced slowly.
I've done both though, in hospital and at home, everything went OK.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Had the vet out today and she thinks hes got ulcers so would like to scope, so we are going to book him in..but just wondered what the chances of colic are after? He is 24yrs old and Connemara if that makes any difference and he hasn't had colic before from what I know of, he has had very mild choke once which was sorted by a soupy feed. Thanks
Quite high in my case. My boy was scoped for ulcers, which he had, first time no issue came home fine.
Second time (Nov 2021) follow up scoped ok in the am . Then told he was given fluids. Then later *Oh you can come collect him when you want*.

Then in the pm: In transport 3/4 way to vets, called me * TURN ROUND YOU CANNOT PICK HIM UP HE IS COLLICKING* It is not good it is touch and go.!!!!

He ended up staying there an extra 3 days.

I won't let him go through that again

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I don't believe.colic is a major issue after a scope , one of mine was scoped several times and never had an issue.
Just make sure he comes around fully from the sedation and then provide a wet feed , something like Fast Fibre or sugarbeet.
Read my post above^