change of owner on passport

RubysGold

Visit site
If you buy a horse and have a receipt to prove you bought the horse... But the person you bought off never changed ownership to themselves, what happens then.
Will the passport people question it or accept your proof of purchase?

Sparkles

Visit site
Accepted mine fine, I've never had to have a proof of receipt or similar to transfer ownership. :)

Welsh pony was still 2 owners 'behind' in her passport when I got her. [All legit]

KrujaaLass

Visit site
This happened to me and I can remotely remember having to write something and go to a solicitor and swear an oath. This was a Welsh cob passport.

TJP

Visit site
I had 3 IHB passports changed into my name last week. No proof of purchase or proof of who I bought off required. Look on the registering bodies website, download the forms and send them off with the passport.

orionstar

Visit site
I bought my last horse and the owner hadnt changed the passport from the breeders name, so I sent a copy of the bill of sale with the passport and a covering letter and they changed the ownership to me.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
If it's HPA, you can do it on-line and they then send you a sticker for the passport; I think they do ask for previous owner details but if you haven't got that they will contact them to check; however, when this happened to us (I sold mare that wasn't in my name, I had just forgotten it needed doing but I had the signed form from previous owner which was given to new owner only they put my name down as last previous owner - with me so far?!) HPA contacted previous owner but also said that if they couldn't then they would change it anyway so not quite sure if there was any point to it at all.

Depends totally which passport you have how they deal with new ownership; for instance, I know Weatherbys just take your money and do it but SHBGB prefer a signed transfer form.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
If it is HPA you have to send the passport back if the last owner registered but did not bother to put the sticker in, this costs a bit more than if you are able to just update the owner. I was so annoyed that this happened to me. Remember you are meant to, by law, register change of ownership within 30 days.
I never had to swear an oath or anything to say that my horse was mine, I had no purchase receipt either.

ladyt25

Visit site
I just sent mine off to Weatherbys to get changed in to my name (ok so that's taken me 2 years to get around to it!) and the previous owners never put it in their name but I have had mine back and updated within a week of sending, no questions asked. Was a bit disappointed that all they do is hand write our name and then stamp it though - was expecting more for my £14! :) (not sure what though! hehe)

Clippy

Visit site
Unless there's a note on the file that the horse is on loan etc, most PIA will change details without too much trouble. Buying a horse, not putting the passport in your name then losing it however, does cause a LOT of hassle!

bobajob

Visit site
Helping a friend in the UK with something similar. She bought horse, dispute with seller (horse was not as described) asked for her money back. Now seller refuses to sign the form for the breed society to put my friends name on the passport.

Any answers anyone or is anyone going through the same?

BraveHart

Visit site
i have just had this with my purebred welsh. The WPCS would not allow me to transfer the passport into my name, even with a signed receipt from the previous owner. the only person stated on my girls passport was the breeder so WPCS gave me the breeders phone number to contact him. had to send a transfer of ownership form to wales and the lovely chap sent it straight back. luckily now all sorted! x