changing a horse's name - is it really bad luck?

atot

Visit site
If vetting goes well, will soon have my dream horse back home.
smile.gif

However its got quite a boring name...Brownie...so...

answers on a postcard please...do you believe changing a horse's name is a bad idea...???

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
I once changed a horses name, as it made her sound like a cow. Several years later she was diagnosed with ringbone and tie-up. I think I would be too scared to ever change another horses name!

Enfys

Visit site
I have renamed most of mine nothing dramatic has happened so far, Robin was called that when I got her, her leg is currently held together with stitches and last year she almost died foaling. Hmmmmmmm.

Just an old wives tale. Things are still going to happen whatever a horse is called.
smile.gif

Flame_

Visit site
Bad luck, my ar*e.
grin.gif

I kept my chestnut's name - she's lame and dangerous

I changed my grey's name - she's sound and safe (most of the time
wink.gif
)

cariad

Visit site
Brownie's ok. Not a brilliant name, but not dreadful either. I have Mouse and Dorothy amongst others - now, would you really choose either of those? No. But I live with it and have done for many years to no apparent detriment.

hadfos

Visit site
tbh it depends on wether you are superstitious or not
grin.gif

My mate wont change a name because she believes it is bad luck
crazy.gif

personally...if i bought a horse called sally/graham/norman i would change it
smile.gif

Apparently green is an unlucky colour?mary king does ok,lol!!
grin.gif

Horses dont know there name,they recognise your tone of voice!
smile.gif

atot

Visit site
Thanks guys - just pondering. Yep, its okay, I just want something a bit girlier. She's a sweet mare, and I think she would suit something like Bella, or Buttons or something.

I don't know why but all our animals have had human names - it seems to be a bit of a trend!!

hadfos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Not really, unless the horse responds already to that name or comes when that name is called.

[/ QUOTE ]
My horse recognises the sound of my wellies coming up the drive without me shouting his name
smile.gif
,i shout H,Hads or hadley,he recognises my voice not his name,as they all do
smile.gif

cariad

Visit site
Ah, now I have to disagree with you there. Mine do definitely know their own names and respond to them. I have just got one back from 4 years on loan to a university and I can call his name and he looks up and comes trotting over as he always has done.

FrodoBeutlin

Visit site
No, it's just a silly superstition.

Having said that....
laugh.gif
I had to choose Frodo's show name a while ago, and had all sorts of fab ideas for names beginning with F...gorgeous Shakespearean names, like Fortinbras, or literary names like Frontino, etc.

In the end, I went to the FN and when they asked me, 'what name do you want him registered as' - I heard myself reply 'Frodo Beutlin' (the name given to him by his breeders)

frown.gif
frown.gif

I just couldn't do it!

hadfos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys - just pondering. Yep, its okay, I just want something a bit girlier. She's a sweet mare, and I think she would suit something like Bella, or Buttons or something.

I don't know why but all our animals have had human names - it seems to be a bit of a trend!!

[/ QUOTE ]
lol...buttons is a great name
smile.gif
means chocolate
grin.gif
well to me anyway!!
Superstition is just that,pure coincidence that things go wrong when changed
smile.gif

I have always crossed people on the stairs etc...bet most have when peesed,lol,superstition or not
wink.gif

atot

Visit site
I've got Buttons, Daisy, Amber and Bella so far.

I'd love something irish, so am currently looking up unprounouncable names (for me, anyway!) to see if I can find something special
smile.gif

hadfos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ah, now I have to disagree with you there. Mine do definitely know their own names and respond to them. I have just got one back from 4 years on loan to a university and I can call his name and he looks up and comes trotting over as he always has done.

[/ QUOTE ]
I Can sympathise with you,but it isnt name they know,it is voice,if you have owned them yrs they dont forget,i go away for 2 wks and my lad screams his head off when i come back
smile.gif
,however all i say is "HEY matey",and he gets soo excited i am back
smile.gif
love my boy!!

hadfos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've got Buttons, Daisy, Amber and Bella so far.

I'd love something irish, so am currently looking up unprounouncable names (for me, anyway!) to see if I can find something special
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
i still like buttons
smile.gif

hadfos

Visit site
Its a nice sweet natured name
smile.gif

use it as stable name,and add to it for comps
smile.gif
cant help you with that thow as i have chocolate focused,lol
crazy.gif
smile.gif

My lad is called hadley and i compete him as hadley
smile.gif
thats his name and i dont want anything flash,i would be happy with buttons
smile.gif

hadfos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Would you have to change the name on the passport then?

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats if it has one
smile.gif

stable name is entirely up to you
smile.gif

But if my new horse was called norman i would have to do something about it,lol!!
If they registered with wetherbys etc and have a passported name then no you cant change name but you can change stable name
smile.gif

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
Oh so if a horse has a passport and a dodgy name in it, do you have to use that as it's show name? or can you have what stable name and what show name you like anyway?
confused.gif
Confuses me
grin.gif

ETA coz all horses should have passports now, isn't that the law?

sjmcc

Visit site
i bought my lad 2 months ago n wish id renamed him infact hes only started comeing to his name so did he ever have that name i wonder hes called hughy n i hate it

Chico Mio

Antedeluvian
Visit site
Why not call her Castana (Castanya, it has one of those wiggle things over the n, but I haven't got one on my keyboard)? It means 'brown' ,for a horse, in Spain and you could call her Cassie?

My grey is called Caramelo (Toffee) because he was chestnut when born. He is now a big, handsome boy and Caramelo is a bit twee, so we call him Ari.

The_snoopster

Visit site
I always get horses that have names i dont like my coloured cob mare is called snoopy but she knows its her name comes to call with it, if i call one of the other horses she ignores me so it would be confusing for her to change it. At the moment she is at a stud yard and they thought her name was sophie and she totally ignored them when they called her name as i had told them she comes to call. Now they know her name she is first to come. As for bad luck i think it comes from gypsy folklaw which also states green is a bad luck colour.

samstar

Visit site
My mare is named QT( supposedly quarter thoroughbred) on her passport but previous owners changed it to star, I daren't change her name again although she does have a nickname of he/she
grin.gif

Sooty

Visit site
It depends entirely on whether you are superstitious. When we got Fraser we only knew his registered name, so called him Fraser (his name is Master Catchphrase) which he now answers to. After six months, we found out he was previously called Catch, so we would have changed that anyway. Personally though, I prefer Brownie to any of the names you have come up with - it is far more unusual. Plus, try and find a name which sounds vaguely similar, not completely different. When we sold a horse called Blobby (not our choice!), his new owner changed it to Bobby.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Changed all our horses names
grin.gif
. So far had a mix of luck. Don't believe for one second that it would have been different if had left names as was
cool.gif

Slowly swapped names over, as in took a few days. Neds all seem perfectly happy
smile.gif
. They don't really care. Dizz will often come to the cry of 'Coooooowbaaaaaag' rather than 'Dizzy', so 'tis academic I feel
grin.gif

glamourpuss

Visit site
My boy didn't have a name when I got him, even his racing passport just said 'chestnut colt' as he was just too slow on the gallops and sent for meat
mad.gif

For the first week I had him (and was undecided if I would keep him) he was refered to as 'the one thats on his last chance'.....so he sort of acquired the name Chance
laugh.gif

I often wondered about what the stable lads/lasses called him on the racing yard but given what a little monster he could be when he was younger...I doubt they would have been repeatable
wink.gif

I tend not to change horses names if they already have them. Not because of superstition but just because I can't be bothered! Sometimes I might 'amend' them slightly to something more workable for me but I kind of think of that as a nickname that I use instead of their real name.

I must be strange though because I think its funny when horses have human names I've met an equine Norman, Barry and Tina. All really suited their names I thought
laugh.gif