Changing a horse's name ...... yes or no?

Expo

Visit site
My ongoing horse hunt is hotting up. I'm viewing a very good prospect on Sunday and he looks great from the pics and videos I've had a look at so far; the right size and age etc. Also, my instructor knows the horse and has ridden it and vouches for its character, so looking good so far.

But ... I hate his name. I'm not saying what it's called, but the name just doesn't suit him (IMO). Think of a chunky coloured cob gelding called Twinkle, for example. If I have him I'm going to have to change it ...

So, does anyone believe in that old wives tale of it being unlucky to change a horse's name, or have any tales to share where they did change a name and disaster ensued? It's going to have to go, but I'm wavering.

ihatework

Visit site
I’ve never changed a horses name but I have given a couple nicknames.

Lots of people couldn’t give two hoots and change their names like a pair of socks. Doesn’t sit right with me.

lilyymor

Visit site
I personally don’t believe in it, although I did have a little 5yo which i bought February last year who (now sold) was quite the nightmare. I changed her name about 2 weeks into owning her as I could not bring myself to tell anyone she was called Prudence? Bought her to event at BE100, after 5 months of training around 110 at home and at hires, took her eventing where she decided that the actual eventing part was far too scary and got eliminated in everything. Yes, I mean everything. Instructor popped on her for a little UA90, point black refused - took her home and xc schooled 4 days later around novice stuff without a single refusal or slip up.

Xmas lucky

Visit site
I wouldn’t If your instructor knows the horse it would be a insult to the previous owner everyone will know the horse by its original name so it’s pointless. Also if the horse is over 3 chances are it wouldn’t respond to the name you would need a very similar name that sounds the same.

Peglo

Visit site
I wanted to change my TB’s name when I got her. She’s called Flo which is such a typical horse name but glad I didn’t at the time as I was 16 and it could’ve been super cringy. She mostly gets called Grumps anyway ? but someone I know off called her horse Yolo so would definitely change that. I love my haffie’s names so wouldn’t change them. I think if it’s too much for you then I would change it

Jellymoon

Visit site
I have with young ones over from Ireland, if I really haven’t liked the name the dealer has given, but not with older ones where they have an established name and are known by other people.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I bought a horse who’s stable name was Shabby ? he was a gorgeous looking horse so I nicknamed him Henry!
I still used his passport name of Shaaban on anything official.

dixie

Visit site
I changed my horse of a lifetime name. Not his passport name but his stable name was Pepe and I changed it to Beppe.
I also kind of changed my current horses stable name. They called him JJ which actually stood for John Joe and I call him Joe. He was unnamed in his passport but I use the JJ in that when I chose a name.

humblepie

Visit site
No. Fortunately all had good names. Did have one that had that had 30 characters in his name so he dropped some of that for unaffiliated competing.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I have always kept the name until I bought Foinavon. His barn name was Moose and his passport name is Balmenach of Auchness. Passport name doesn't work as a barn name. It just doesn't. And I could not face years of answering "Moose" when people asked me my horse's name. Maybe Brits think it's cute (my friend's lab is also called Moose), but being from Colorado, it makes me think of a large North American mammal in the deer family that's really dangerous and has an ugly head. Bulls and cows with calves at foot can be super aggressive -- more fight than flight.

Charley657

Visit site
At my old riding school they named a new horse Ugh because they thought it was ugly. I refused to use that name. Unless it comes to call with its current name when out in the field, feel free to change it. It will get used to it after a few weeks.

cindars

Visit site
I have. Got a horse from local riding school and he was called Eric,had just read Tolkien and as he was black he was renamed Roha.n

asmp

Visit site
A horse I bought about 40 years ago was called Sid, which I hated so renamed him Sam (but I quite like Sid now!)

When I bought the horse I have now I was told his name was Miseria, which I found out is Spanish for misery! I then discovered after I‘d insured and micro chipped him that he only had a number on his passport and I could have called him something much nicer ?

Bob notacob

Visit site
The old saying ,which later became your old wives saying(after of course ,they totally misunderstood it) was Change of name ,change of luck. Luck can be good as well as bad. Sometimes even us Irish draughts need a new identity (Don't you humans also have witness protection schemes) Just saying... suppose a poor hard done by Irish Draught became known as (purely an example) treacherous Bob , he might wish to loose that name and get a fresh start.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I changed ponies names when I was younger as I didn't know about the old wives tale!! Best ponies ever! Once I found out aboutvthectale I dare not change a name now! If I don't like it I will call them a slight variation!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have one that I changed and one that has interchangeable versions :)

I changed Soli to Salty, same sort of sound but I preferred it as I knew another soli that I didn't like ?

Passport names unchanged obv.

Hopelessly horsey

Visit site
If you really don't like it...change it! ☺️ I have done so with a few of mine and infact the ones where I haven't changed their names have been the ones with the worst luck.

Expo

Visit site
Well, some interesting perspectives here. The name I currently know him by is a stable name and I have no idea if his passport name is different. He may be called, for example, Bob, in the stable but be actually called Robert the Bruce on his passport. We'll see on Sunday I suppose. But I'm still thinking of alternatives.