Changing behaviour, do you think its possible

maree t

Visit site
Sorry , prepare for a long one......
We have been offered a games pony for my daughter which would be the next step up. This mare is 18 and is well known. She is pretty good to ride and goes well at games and competitions BUT she is a bitch to handle. she will bite humans if possible and when loose in the field will also kick you when you try and catch her. If you go to touch her she pins her ears back and will bite if you persist. Once you get hold of her she submits straight away and is as good as gold. She is great with other horses and will take passes at speed etc.
I saw one of the other games parents approach her the other day and she was fine and seemed to like her which then made me wonder wether we could change her. All our ponies are pets aswell and we love them to bits so I would find it hard to not have any affection for her. Do you thing that Kelly Marks or Richard Maxwell might be able to help us get through to her ?
I would be interested to hear what you think and any experience of a horse like this ?

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site
What a shame for both you and the pony.
She can't get much affection if she carries on like that (not meaning from you but over the years).

If you could I would definitely get somebody who deals with behaviour in to help.
What's there to lose?

The only thing I could suggest is some clicker training. Get her thinking about what she does and how she can control the reactions of herself to get a result?
Kind of helps to change the dynamic, makes them think.

Suzie G

Visit site
We used to have a pony that we bought as an 11 year old. He was ok to handle but always seemed a bit on edge and always at the point of taking off. He had lived some of his life at a riding school even tho he was always privately owned.

As soon as we moved him to our livery yard he turned into a totally different pony, just so chilled and seemed totally happy to be spoilt rotten.

We just gave him a loving home with rules and a routine.

Anything is possible!

maree t

Visit site
Thanks for that . She was 4 years in her previous home round the corner with a girl who was quite heavy handed but an excellent rider. she was then sold 5 years ago to the people who have her now, all of whom are well known to us. they are quiet gentle people with one horse and one other pony. They spend a lot of time with her and are great. The first few weeks the mare destroyed a stable and kicked the mum in the head and nearly broke her wrist, she is better with them now but wont let them touch her unless she is tied up or on a lead rope . really strange as she is lovely with any other ponies . Dont want to take chances with the kids but never really come across a pony like this before

jeeve

Visit site
Had a kids pony like this - she did improve, but never stopped completely biting, she did stop kicking though. She also became good to catch (except on very rare days - but they all have moments).

I think you just need to make sure people don't take her for granted, I used to make sure people knew not to stand next to her without paying attention.

Waffles

Visit site
Try reading Alexandra Kurland's book "Clicker training for your horse". There is a really good section in there about how they trained a dangerous horse to become very manageable using clicker training. Good luck.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I would spend the £45 and get an animal communication done from a photo. Very simple. Hear the mare's side of the story - you may quaff at this but it worked with my horse who was so aggressive my husband feared for my life everytime I handled him. He's a 17hh WB. I found out his problem this way. He's like a pussycat now.

maree t

Visit site
Thanks , I am worried that if we buy her she will need to move on in two years. I would really worry about selling her with this behaviour. The people who have her now have known us for years and know that we know all about her , would we be lucky enough to find someone then. I dont want to be stuck with yet another forever horse . She is perfect to ride, excellent with my daughter and just fast enough for her. It would be interesting to hear Richard Maxwells take on it, I might message him and see what he thinks. I feel she cant be happy, she wouldnt behave like this if she was would she ?. What is she trying to say ?

Ladyinred

Visit site
Poor pony. She can't have had a very happy life if she feels the need to behave this way, even when you know her recent owners have been decent people. It is defensive behaviour I think, not truly aggressive or she would carry on when caught.

I completely agree with the idea of clicker training or +reinforcement. Ben Hart is the person I would be speaking to and I believe he now does telephone consultations so you could speak to him before committing to this pony.

http://www.hartshorsemanship.com/

putasocinit

Visit site
Lots of things, could be she has had enough of being hauled and galloped all over the place, could be she was originally spoilt with treats then these were witheld for some reason, could have been teased kids do, could be just a case of her saying, thats far enough or else, because she has had to, in 18 years she has seen a lot.

If it was me i would just love her and be nice to her and let her know that she will be rewarded if she isnt angry, but even if she was angry it wouldnt be the end of the world, a simple No, now you have her attention with pricked ears, give her a treat, will teach her if she shows attention with pricked ears she will get a treat. Agree would hope 18 years she wouldnt be going anywhere again, poor girl