Changing farriers

chaps89

Visit site
I had to change farriers when lockdown struck, as I'd moved out of original farriers area and lockdown meant their forge was shut so I couldn't keep going back. Also, it's a bit bonkers going from Bucks to Sussex for shoeing every 6 weeks.

New farrier is lovely, reliable, seems very thorough, but hasn't been doing a good job and we have some lameness issues. He is used by 1 other lady on the yard.

I have a new farrier to try, who will hopefully come to the yard, if not I have the option to box up to him which is half an hour rather than an hour and a bit like original farrier. So worth a try before going back to original farrier.

How do I cancel/sack the current farrier?!?!?!? Never had to do this before, made harder as he seems to be a nice person!

TPO

Visit site
Do you book in regularly/next appointment and/or have another appointment booked in?

If you dont I just wouldnt say anything. Its awkward seeing him on the yard but ultimately you'll never go back to using him because horse went lame in his care.

If you are booked in then its tricky are you have to cancel them.

I just cancelled a trimmer and she books in next appointment at the end of trim. I just messaged to cancel and she said ok do I want to book in for next visit. I said I was going to leave it and give hooves a break as toes getting long and heels under running. She replied thanks for feedback ?

chaps89

Visit site
We are booked in - 1 visit for end of the month for lame one, another visit for companion in Nov.
I have messaged to say she's lame though so will keep him updated, so have sort of prepped the way.
Would almost be easier if I was boxing out to new farrier as no one at the yard would see (they are a gossipy bunch) and easier to explain. Ho hum.

Seems your trimmer missed the point with your 'feedback' ?

Annagain

Visit site
I'd maybe just say that you don't think your horse is suited to his style of shoeing at the moment (rather than his shoeing not suiting the horse - same thing but sounds more like one of those things if you put the horse first) and thank him for his time.

HashRouge

Visit site
Honestly? I would just cancel both the appointments and not give any reason. You don't have to explain yourself and, in all honesty, he will know that you must be unhappy with the job he's doing or you wouldn't stop using him.

Brummyrat

Visit site
Oh I had to do this a year ago and I'd been with my old farrier for about 20 years, with my old horse and then with the new one but he'd got sloppy and complacent and something had to give. I sent a long text (coward) saying there's no easy way of saying this but..... with my horse it was losing shoes because his feet were long so I just said I was going to try a different farrier to see if that helped. I said it was awkward as I considered him a friend as well as my farrier and thanked him for his loyalty and friendship. He was ok about it and I've seen him since, he was polite!

Job done. I meant it too, he was a nice guy but my horse's feet were suffering.

chaps89

Visit site
Slight panic and stress as having difficulty booking in with new farrier but that's done now so need to message the current one.
I'm liking @annagain and @Brummyrat approach tbh, how does this sound:

Hello.
M still isn't quite right unfortunately. I've chatted with the vet and sent her some video/photos and we feel perhaps she is a bit more sensitibe to how she's shod than we thought and possibly isn't suited to the new style of shoeing so are going to try someone else for her, I hope you understand.

Only thing I'm not sure on is what to do about little ponies appointment- thinking leave that out for now.

FFAQ

Visit site
I should think he will assume that the pony is moving to the new farrier too. In order to avoid any confusion perhaps just ask outright whether he wants to continue with the pony, or tell him you are moving the pony too if that's what you prefer. Very awkward, but if you can be honest and tactful he may appreciate it. Certainly there's no chance of improvement if yiu never get feedback!

Auslander

Visit site
it's so tricky! I had to change farriers for Alf recently, as he needs hinds on, and my farrier wasn't prepared to do that (Alf has shivers, and is very difficult to shoe behind) and I also had some concerns about his enthusiasm for doing a decent job on Alf. He does all the others and I have no issues with his work on them, so didn't want to take a whole yard of horses away from him.
I was very honest, and said that I wanted to see if a different farrier would find it easier to shoe him behind, and he was fine with my decision. I think he was secretly quite relieved not to have to go through the drama of getting hinds on.
Ironically, the new guy has such a great way of dealing with the shivering that he's had very little trouble getting hinds on. He doesn't try to hang on to his hinds when he has a shiver - just lets go, gives him a pat, and says "Go for it, mate - kick it out", then once th shiver is finished, he picks his foot up and carries on. His theory is that when the shiver starts, Alf needs to kick out, and reset the nerves that are making him kick - it's lovely to watch.

HobleytheTB

Visit site
I'd possibly go the more cowardly route and say the vet had persuaded you to try their recommended farrier for a few cycles to see if a different style helped the current issue, and you'll be in touch as required...

Brummyrat

Visit site
Slight panic and stress as having difficulty booking in with new farrier but that's done now so need to message the current one.
I'm liking @annagain and @Brummyrat approach tbh, how does this sound:

Hello.
M still isn't quite right unfortunately. I've chatted with the vet and sent her some video/photos and we feel perhaps she is a bit more sensitibe to how she's shod than we thought and possibly isn't suited to the new style of shoeing so are going to try someone else for her, I hope you understand.

Only thing I'm not sure on is what to do about little ponies appointment- thinking leave that out for now.

Sorry only just come back to this.... yes I think your suggestion would work although Hobley's idea of passing the blame to the vet is pretty inspired also! Just don't overthink it too much, send a message and move on. None of us like upsetting people but honestly I don't think your farrier will be too upset - mine certainly wasn't in the end.

Brummyrat

Visit site
Well done OP you can move on now! Honestly its the best thing I ever did, it was almost 12 months ago and my horse's feet now look like the did when I bought him! Hope you get the same outcome x

w1bbler

Visit site
I was far more cowardly than you. I got farrier to take shoes off at his appointment already scheduled at the beginning of lockdown. At the end of the appointment, when we would normally schedule the next I just said I'll give you a call when they need trimming.
All 3 are now doing fabulously barefoot under a new farriers guidance ?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
This last time I just said, "You do not need to come. I'm going to have him go barefoot for the winter." And forever ? but the work was so. bad. The weird part is, I think he knew it.