Changing to winter routine

Enya Daniel

Visit site
Hi,
I am just wondering when people think you should change your horses routine. In the summer mine are turned out at night and in for the day, but in the winter I change it and they go out in the day and in for the night. Now that the nights are starting to get colder I am thinking about changing to the winter routine but I was wondering when other people might be doing it?

Thanks
Enya

doodle

Visit site
Robin stays out in the summer. He will come in for anywhere between 1 to 3 hours a day while I groom feed and ride. He then comes in overnight in winter. He usually gets to mid October before coming in at night but it is decided by the weather rather than date.

Equi

Visit site
Usually when it starts to be too wet/cold and the horses are running around in the morning looking in as soon as anyone arrives at yard. Looking at the weather forecast this could be next week ?

eggs

Visit site
Was hoping to get into the middle of October but decided yesterday looking at the forecast that I will swap them over this weekend. They will go out tonight and then come in a 7 tomorrow as usual but then I will chuck them back out again at about 9. It is supposed to be quite nice and sunny tomorrow and then we are due day after day of rain

NinjaPony

Visit site
Mine normally come in overnight about mid October, but now my boy has chronic lung disease I want to try and keep him out 24/7, coming in twice a day for feeds, rug changes etc. My plan is to start putting out a good amount of haylage overnight, like he would get if he was stabled, once it gets consistently colder overnight. Then he can come in am for a feed etc before going out. We shall see! Laminitic boy has been in overnight for a while now. He hates being out when it’s cold anyway!

Fjord

Visit site
We're trying to conserve the grass in our field as we don't have much, so have just started bringing them in at night. The horses don't seem to mind, as it's got cooler they are more than happy to come in.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Mine will go out overnight with another boy until the ground gets too wet. We're on clay here so it depends entirely on how much rain we get.
I'm hoping he'll be able to do that for another month.

Indy

Visit site
Mine live out all summer and will stay out until after after 5th November has been and gone. We live next door to a pub and they have a bonfire and firework display which is a bit too close to the stables for comfort. They're better off down the fields out of the way.

Esmae

Visit site
Mine are still out 24/7. Might put rainsheet on the TB from tonight. He doesn't make much coat. The mare doesn't seem to feel the rain etc. Was planning to bring in at night when the clocks go back weather permitting.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Mine are out over the summer as early as possible - end April this year I think. Over summer they come in during the day in hot weather or for the occasional rest. They came in last night for the first time as the morning before they were really wound up after the squally night before. If the weather settles they may go back out again. The year before last they came in at the end of October, last year it was a month earlier due to the rain. Currently feeding hay 24/7 as summer fields have virtually no grass as been so dry. If there was grass I think they’d be happier, we may get some now it’s rained.

Micky

Visit site
Hi Enya..?..Mine are in now at night, the clocks go back soon and my old lad isn’t keen on the dark in the field, he likes his routine and his bed comforts! Change your routine when you feel it’s right for your horse and you, other people have different needs and routines.

Austen123

Visit site
I changed tonight. My mare started to give me signs and this morning was the final straw when she jumped out of her field .. TWICE!! so tonight she came and officially on winter routine *sob*

FantaPlease

Visit site
I was hoping to wait until mid oct ish. We are lucky we can usually keep out 24/7 March - Dec then Dec - March in at night. WEATHER AND LAND PERMITTING. Mine has been in for a few days but popped her out this morning to stay out tonight, going to pop hay in field tomorrow and see her reaction. She has a MW combo on as it was 4 degrees last night and she is 20 Y/O ... If she is showing adament signs of wanting in over the weekend despite having hay and feed with suppliments then i will prob switch to winter routine Monday. Hoping not as it seems such a shame. We are lucky if we have a nice mild night i can just choose to leave her out maybe 2/3 times a week. I will follow her lead.

sherry90

Visit site
Mine goes out overnight in summer, I swapped two weeks ago once he was clipped. Half the yard is in at night anyway and it won’t be long before the others swap (usually by October but YO doesn’t mind if it stays dry if it’s later) I suspect we are going to have a c**p winter given how 2020 has gone in general ?

BBP

Visit site
Winter routine for me means charging up the head torch and falling over things in the dark when I forget, so that officially started this morning for me! My guys live out or come onto all weather turnout when the fields are wet, so not much changes.