Charging for viewings?

norolim

Visit site
Evening all,

I've been doing a bit of window shopping and looking at horse shares available in my area (new favourite pastime!)

I've seen one that sounds great on paper but the owner is requesting a £20 fee to arrange a viewing due to previous time wasters. No judgement at all and I can understand why they would want to do that to ensure people were serious, but I was just curious at to whether that's a normal request as I've not come across it before.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I have seen people charging for viewings before actually especially if they have to pay to use an arena for it.?

I went to try a loan horse, after I left, after I turned horse down next day, they then asked for school hire money. I was a bit surprised. I’d expect to be asked up front when I arranged to view.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
The scam alert is the auto pay via website before you even get to discuss the horse! And it’s for a share where discussions about expectations and terms are essential before viewing. If you have had a lengthy chat about a horse and the arrangements seems fine and all that’s left is a viewing to check you and the horse gel then paying for arena hire might be ok. Though I have never either paid or charged for that. And I doubt many people would pay it. Do I get a fuel refund for the god knows how many hours wasted driving to not as described horses? Time wasting works both ways.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
So many scams around right now. However, I haven't seen the advert, but if you could message them, speak with them, and then pay a fee when actually there to try and ride, then i would consider it.

Some people go round loans etc as a sort of free riding school! I can understand people not wanting to let people come to 'try' for free.

Last year, before I bought Rigsby, there was a share available locally (but not locally enough, sadly, when I actually made the - busy- drive) and I went for a look see. The owner was lovely, had no facilities other than a field down the road and a set of stables literally in the small back garden, so I hoisted myself aboard on the driveway and went out for a ride.

The horse was old, stiff but lovely. The lady was lovely. It just wasn't a fit for me. I felt bad for having wasted her time, and offered to pay. She turned me down, but had mentioned needing a longer girth, of which I had an old one, so I sent it by post when I got home.

I wouldn't pay anything up front before arriving though, as it is likely then a scam. I would also check the address on Google Maps to make sure it is believable!

Flicker

Visit site
I would expect a seller to be making the necessary arrangements to present the horse in the best way possible, including paying for arena hire if necessary. As a buyer, I would not expect to pay for arena hire unless I had specifically asked to see or try the horse in a particular environment.

As for paying upfront for the privilege of trying a horse? No thanks. It’s either a scam or breathtaking entitlement.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I wouldn’t pay to view a horse under normal circumstances. If you’ve asked for the horse to be taken to xc, I’d pay for the hire of the course.
I wonder what kind of liability a seller who charged for viewings would be opening themselves up to? Akin to operating a riding school I’d have thought?

Berpisc

Visit site
Wow that sounds like a nifty little money-maker!!

Anybody want to view a muddy-marvel mammoth pony in all its winter glory ascending from the depths of the mire of a clay-bog field??

Rock on up! A tenner per punter.

PM me!! LOL
Me! Me! Pick Me! :D:D:D (channeling my inner Shrek )

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Charging for viewing? That's a bit mad, although I probably should have charged for riding some of the ignorant, unschooled beasties I've been to view..........

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
People and dealers do it here to avoid timewasters and joy riders. The ads I've seen aren't scam like though. A few photos, good description of the horse, a phone number and the name of the seller/yard. I think it a bit odd and I wouldn't do it, but if I really liked a horse from one of the aforementioned sellers, I'd possibly do it. I know they aren't scams though (also, real life people confirm this), and I'd have to really like the horse.