Charlton Park Novice Report

tigers_eye

Visit site
Went off to Charlton yesterday for William's second Novice. Was running a bit late so didn't get much warm up for dressage but I don't think it affects him much. Was rather fresh though and had his heels above his head 3 times in the canter! Naughty boy! It was 125 with the medium canter in it, two were on the first medium, and the third was right at C on the other rein. The judge obligingly was short-sighted though and only said disunited in the medium and didn't see the other at all! He got a 37.1 which I thought was fair.

Went off to walk the muddy course as the only section of Novice on Saturday went round, and watched as lots of people had run-outs and retired. Was nice to all the fence judges as they looked pretty wet and miserable. There was an angled one-stride road crossing at 3, a bounce at 6 (W's 1st xc bounce!), a jump into water with a sizeable step up out of it at 7, a trakhener at 10, a corner on an angle to a pheasant feeder on 2 strides at 11, a turning combination to skinny at 13, a turning treble, the 2nd two elements of which were skinnies (the third a skinny brush, you know the ones) at 15 etc!

William stayed the night at William Miflins very nice yard, and, having failed to convince S that the lorry was a good idea we found a place just down the road with great food and a four-poster bed! And Digby was allowed too!

This morning went back to CP, and it was even wetter. Put his new uber-bridle on and he went round the sj fine, although dived right in the treble like when we went BSJA'ing last time, then I let him go on a long one at the last and he had it down. That proved to be very expensive....

Was quite nervous about the xc (but I always get nervous, if I'm not it usually means I ride appallingly), then just as Bill started to count me down from 5 there was a hold on course. Set off a couple of minutes later and I had a hundred lb weight in my left hand and nothing in my right. If I so much as gave a smidge he just lurched right. Then coming into four he just slammed on the brakes 20 yards out. Now W is the most honest happy chappy non-napper baby I have ever come across. I whacked him but instantly thought I'd pull up if he carried on like this as something was wrong. He went forward and felt better in the hand, then did it again turning to the water! Went forward again and after the stretch in the woods I galloped him across the next field very fast with no contact and he was fine after that. Jumped brilliantly, and seems to have learnt after his last run that skinnies are there to be jumped. On getting back found he's pulled a front shoe off.

Going to get his teeth checked, and also have the lump on his back investigated. It's like a wart, and he's had it from before he was broken in, but I think it has got a little bigger recently, and it certainly can't be helping him. Anyway, he got 8.8 time penalties, and I think we wasted about 8 seconds with his fannying about in the middle fields. We finished 11th (AGAIN!), and without the fence down would have been 5th....

Pics going in gallery in a min....

madgirl

Visit site
well done grr sucha shame about the pole down thou!! my friend was also runing in your section dunno how he did thou!

Jiffy

photobucket.com
I've got to admire all those who competed in the rain there this weekend.
frown.gif
I couldn't bring myself to walk the XC course due to mud, so was a lightweight and stayed near the first 3 XC fences and SJ arena.
smile.gif

kat18

community.webshots.com
Well done!
The xc sounded like a good novice test!!
Maybe he didnt appreciate having a false start
smirk.gif

I cant believe he is only 5 yrs old, hes doing very well and a real credit to your work youve put in with him.
grin.gif

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Really well done I think that is quite a stiff Novice course and to cope well in that weather is brillant.

You should be in with a good shout for the PAVO next year.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I saw the weather and really do not envy you for riding in that - did you need to get towed out? The ground was appalling yesterday so well done on getting round and having a pretty good day especially if people were retiring and giving up. Charlton Novice is supposed to set you up perfectly for intermediate so what a great result on your 5yo.

tigers_eye

Visit site
I'm going to sort out teeth and lump (have sorted saddles!), give him November off, then go and sort us out on the flat with Anna Ross-Davies over the winter and find someone for a few sj lessons too. Then I'd like to aim him for Le Lion 6 yos next year really, so PAVO stuff will be on the cards and hopefully some intermediates in the autumn. But it's all a long way off! It was only his 8th run ever, and having the new one makes me appreciate how grown up about everything W is.

tigers_eye

Visit site
Didn't get towed out, parked in the first bit both days. There was a beautiful yellow wittaker box next to us today that was so clean it looked like it was on its maiden voyage. Don't think it left that clean!

Was looking at the results yesterday and tryiing to figure out your name based on what I could remember of your times, but I failed...
wink.gif

BBs

Visit site
Naww well done hunny
smile.gif
Big pats to my mate william! what a consistant star he is - bloody gutting about his little paddy tho
frown.gif
but what a good boy for carrying on and getting on with the job in hand.

CP is a big bold course - I love it there! but the novice is well up to height so dinky william at only his 8th ever event has been an absolute star!

Good luck at LD now! and lets hope for a placing - bloody 11th placing
mad.gif

LMAO at your txt - heals above your head! shame S didnt get any pics of that!

Can I have first dibs at being groom for Le Lion please
wink.gif

tigers_eye

Visit site
TBH I thought Goring was as difficult, apart from maybe the turning combo at 15 with the skinny brush at the end. Apparently the course had quite a few alterations, so maybe it was softened. And he is only a bit dinky! I think he squeezed himself out of the 15-something hh bracket! Deco is much much smaller! You must come and meet all of them someday. As long as you let me plait you can be my groom at LL! If I get there....

Oh, how was last night?
wink.gif

Jiffy

photobucket.com
Oh LEC as I drove in this morning I could hear the bottom of my car's bodywork scraping along the deep mud furrows
crazy.gif
I was worried if my car would be able to get again this evening, but it happily drove along where others were skidding off the tracks in front of me.
smile.gif

tigers_eye

Visit site
OH! Well that's a good surprise! Thanks BBs and santa and Saf for alerting me! Think they should have known about Clayton's horse being HC before they hamded out the prizes though! Maybe I'll get a rossie in the post if I'm lucky
wink.gif