Chatsworth - disabled access?

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
I'm thinking about spending a day at Chatsworth 3DE this coming weekend and I'd like to take my elderly and disabled (Blue Badge holder) Dad who uses two sticks, gets out of breath very easily and is a bit wobbly - but does enjoy visiting an event like that.

We do OK at Bramham because the disabled parking is right behind the trade stands and arena, there are loads of seats and it's pretty flat. But Burghley would be no good because the site is quite hilly and vast. How does Chatsworth compare please? And which day would have most going on in the arena that isn't dressage which he finds a bit boring.

Thank you!

PS He won't use a buggy or wheelchair, I've tried!

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Chatsworth is in a natural bowl so he will do well for show jumping, dressage and shopping. cross country will require a bit of walking to see any fences but the little water complex with the folly should be accessible enough.

I'm not disabled so this is feedback from a friend. I know he doesn't like the disabled buggys but Chatsworth do have a small number of off road ones which are perfect for getting around on. You have to request one early but they come meet you at your car and you get a full four star service.

Seating around the arenas is limited so have something with you to sit on.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'm not sure where the disabled parking is, but I agree with the previous post, the shopping village is flat and the area near the water jump by the house enables you to see a couple of meaty fences. The rest of the course is hilly and rough, it would be difficult. On ERM day you'd have the top riders show jumping in the arena. There's usually a fair bit going on.

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
Thanks both, he's given up trying do any of the xc course, but if there's something interesting in the main arena he'll happily watch while I walk a few fences.

It sounds promising...

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
If he's given up due to struggling, rather than due to lack of interest he might like watching from the flat bit of the course we were talking about. It's right in front of the the house with nice views over the parkland and you can see three or four good fences from there, including the most difficult water jump. Plus it's right next to the trade stands. We always finish up there when we've walked round.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
For the future you might like to have a look at Blenheim.
Lots of arena eventing going on as well as demos in other arenas on most days.
Forward parking on xc course over looking the water for Saturday and (I think) Sunday.
Not sure where the disabled parking is but there is a constant stream of buggies from car park to main arena stopping at shopping village and events arena in between. It's all on the website. Lovely event and venue.

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
We've just got back and had a lovely day, just had to leave a bit early as Dad was exhausted. Thanks for all the info and advice everyone x

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Glad you enjoyed it. Did your dad get to see much and enjoy himself. (Did the sight of the cross country disabled buggies make him rethink for next year?)

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
Glad you enjoyed it. Did your dad get to see much and enjoy himself. (Did the sight of the cross country disabled buggies make him rethink for next year?)

We managed to see a fair bit - there were a couple of xc fences near to the disabled parking complete with handy viewing bench and both rings were just about staggerable distance for him with two sticks, but he was shattered by 2pm so he had a little nap in the car while I watched a bit more then we left early.

I really tried selling their benefits, but buggies are still a no!