Cheap electric fence rope?

PurBee

Visit site
Hi all,

Im in need of another 1000 metres or so of new electric rope and wanted to ask if any of you know where to get an extraordinary bargain from?

I’ve found an amazon seller doing a good deal of around 15 sterling pounds for 200metres of 6mm rope Within a 1000m bundle offer....so thats the cheapest so far:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VOSS-farmi...efix=Electric+fence+connectors,aps,182&sr=8-1

TIA for all suggestions!

Nasicus

Visit site
Funny, I was going to suggest checking out Voss Farmings website, but that's already their rope!

I think that's the same rope I bought from them last, recently strung some of it up and it's pretty nice quality! Will say beware the reel though, mine fell apart on me whilst unwinding (admittedly I wasn't being too kind on it), and now I have nearly 200m of tangled rope that needs seeing to...

Edit:
Whoops, I'm telling porkies, I bought this one:
https://www.electric-fence.co.uk/vo...5-hpc-r-high-performance-conductor-white.html

I did look at the Expert one, but went with the Profiline due to less resistance/better conductivity (0.12 Ω/m vs the Experts 3.45 Ω/m, less resistance is better) for about £5 more.

PurBee

Visit site
Thank you both for the suggestions - i think i need the more powerful less resistance rope as im doing long distances. I run 2 energisers to fence roughly 7 acres with 3 strands - the middle strand i dont normally electrify, but probably will have to.

My gelding has adopted a houdini skill and i need a good zap to re-train his brain not to even attemp to try to get the greener grass on the other side! Right before my eyes he put his head under the middle rope lifting it and the top rope over his back while stepping over the lower rope - before i had a chance to switch the fencer on! He does it so fast just in case its on!

Nasicus - i use cheap hose reels from Aldi to use as a winder for my ropes. They hold around 500m of rope. Having spent plenty of hours in a field surrounded by tangled rope, no matter how i handled it - i vowed to wind the stuff up eversince!

As an aside - What strand configuration do you think works best for 14.2hh and above? I think having a 3 strands is maybe un-necessary. I have an area roped with Just 2 ropes - i use the tallest posts so the top rope is chest height/low neck of the horses and middle rope is just above their knee. They dont attempt to cross this whether fence is on or off. Yet the 3 strand areas the gelding tries to go through?! Its no different to the 2 strand configuration, it just has a lower rope at 1ft height.

Nasicus

Visit site
Nasicus - i use cheap hose reels from Aldi to use as a winder for my ropes. They hold around 500m of rope. Having spent plenty of hours in a field surrounded by tangled rope, no matter how i handled it - i vowed to wind the stuff up eversince!
Now there's an idea!!

As for the configuration, it's hard to say. My 14hh tank of a late mare would plow through any configuration and zap level if she fancied it, including a 6 strand setup I tried once out of desperation! My 15hh youngster (sold now) and shorter Wonkydonk (probably around 13.2 - 14.1hh, never measured her) were easily contained with two strands on tall posts (one strand at the top and another about midway between knee and chest height) as long as they had a good zap running through them. In fact, as long as the tall stuff had a good zap, I could keep them in with two electrified strands on regular height posts too, as they knew that the white rope stuff stang no matter the height!
Now it's just Wonkydonk and her little 12hh Welsh Companion, It's all had to be upgraded to three strands with double the posts and a good strong zap, as the little Welsh will literally just walk through anything if it's not got a spank to it.

If you electrified the 3rd, unelectrified strand, chances are your gelding will think twice. Could just get the good ol' crocodile clip connectors to save you messing with the config.

PurBee

Visit site
Now there's an idea!!

As for the configuration, it's hard to say. My 14hh tank of a late mare would plow through any configuration and zap level if she fancied it, including a 6 strand setup I tried once out of desperation! My 15hh youngster (sold now) and shorter Wonkydonk (probably around 13.2 - 14.1hh, never measured her) were easily contained with two strands on tall posts (one strand at the top and another about midway between knee and chest height) as long as they had a good zap running through them. In fact, as long as the tall stuff had a good zap, I could keep them in with two electrified strands on regular height posts too, as they knew that the white rope stuff stang no matter the height!
Now it's just Wonkydonk and her little 12hh Welsh Companion, It's all had to be upgraded to three strands with double the posts and a good strong zap, as the little Welsh will literally just walk through anything if it's not got a spank to it.

If you electrified the 3rd, unelectrified strand, chances are your gelding will think twice. Could just get the good ol' crocodile clip connectors to save you messing with the config.

You’ve alerted me to realising that where there is just rope being used, the gelding doesnt attempt it, like yours realise, as rope stings hardest. The area this year he’s getting through has a middle tape line, and that stuff is Very bendable to slide up and over his back no matter how hard i try to tighten it.

ive found the rope has some stretch in it too, so have to re-tighten lines a week after install and throughout the year. Deer crash through it and sometimes pull on it stretching it too. If the lines are drum tight my gelding doesnt attempt to rush through. ...only if the fence is on.
My posts are 6 paces/ 6 metres widths On average. Some areas ive gone to 4 metres to put the gelding off.

ok - off to order more line and posts! Every year i think that ill not have to order more after the last lot....think the irish fae are nicking them in the night or something!

Love Wonkydonk’s name! Heheee

PurBee

Visit site
Have you tried Naylors ?

thanks pipster...i havent heard of naylors before....will consider them for future orders.
ive already placed an order with voss farming for the super low conductivity rope, as id love to try that....i have a fair few km’s of rope all in all powered by 2 energisers so super stinging rope should help contain houdini gelding ?