Cheap/modern 'hunting' whip

Batgirl

Visit site
As I have a giant nearly 18hh horse gates can be a bit tricky just from a flexible point of view.

Does anyone know of a day to day whip that has the L shape at the top like a hunting whip?

My googling has turned up dry!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Keep your eye on Ebay, it's where I've got my current 2 from for under £40 each. A number dont have a thong or lash with them but you can buy them separately quite easily. (I usually have only a 6ft thong with lash for hacking)
Even if the binding is in poor repair it's not a major job to refurb or repair by a saddler, as long as the antler head and shaft is still in good repair.

V handy not just for gates, but hooking reins on loose horses, flicking or cracking lash at errant dogs (practice at home 1st) scooping up hat covers..... multiple other uses too :)

palo1

Visit site
Look for what is often known as a 'kennel whip' - usually a very, very hardened piece of hazel with a right angled top. We have one here and it is fantastic for exactly what you are looking for!! :) :) I think Shires used to do a modern hunting whip too. The Hunting Shop has a great many old and new also but ideally you might find a decent kennel whip or find a piece of hazel or hawthorn that you could use and let time harden it. :)

Marnie

Visit site
I've just been looking for exactly the same and a friend cut me a lovely piece of alder with a hooked end and then sanded it off. It is light but sturdy and really easy to hold. Maybe worth looking for similar.