Cheap rug is cr4p!

Marquire

Visit site
Moral of this story is 'you get what you pay for'.

When I got the Grumpy Boy last year I bought a cheap lightweight turnout rug from a well known retailer's own range (not mentioning any names in case I am banned). I had 8 (
blush.gif
) heavy weight ones and only wanted a lighter weight one to get us through until he was clipped. As the weather was mostly dry and cold early last winter he only actually wore it twice and neither time did it rain.

Anyway, yesterday it was pouring with rain here so I put GB out in this rug (200gm fill) with matching neck cover. When I went to get him in last night he was at the gate (not unusual) but he looked very sorry for himself and quite tucked up. I got him in and took the rug off and instantly noticed it weighed about half a ton. It was completely soaked through and the poor boy was drenched underneath, freezing cold plus he'd had to stagger around under the weigh of the useless rug probably all day. Admittedly the rain was horrific yesterday but my mare who was out in a Weatherbeeta Landa was completely dry and toasty underneath it.

Since I've had the stupid, pointless rug over a year now I guess there is no point making a fuss but I shall not be being ANYTHING from that retailer ever again.

GB is out in his weatherbeeta today.

Parkranger

Visit site
If you haven't really used it until now then hell yes, I'd kick up a fuss.......I got a cheapy masta for Ty and it's great.....

x

katelarge

Visit site
If it's the same "well-known, low-price retailers" then I have a stable rug from them and it's pants! Doesn't fit in any way - actually might fit a deer but that's about it. Just shows you you get what you pay for!

evsj

Visit site
I agree - despite baulking at the price for a new rambo wug which I bough 4 years ago (and hiding the price from the OH) it has come back from the cleaners again looking like it's never been on a horse.

Tempi

Visit site
both mine have got those cheapy masta ones with detachable hoods, and Archie was out in his yesterday and he came in dry as a bone and nice and toasty
smile.gif

if i was you id complain to the company who made the rug, not the place you brought it from - im sure they would offer you something as they wont want people hearing bad things about their rugs.

Marquire

Visit site
It was made by the same retailer who sells it if you see what I mean. It's their own 'budget' range.

I'm just composing a snotty email to them now.
laugh.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
It was made by the same retailer who sells it if you see what I mean. It's their own 'budget' range.

I'm just composing a snotty email to them now.
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't blame you either, I would be furious!

But playing devil's advocate here, it might have been a one off faulty one as I have to say in 'their' defence if it's who I suppose it is
wink.gif
wink.gif
a livery had a half neck NZ made to look like a Fal/Rhino for a retired Tb and it was fabulous. It kept it's light weight however hard it rained and he was always as warm and dry as toast so some of their own range are good. Shame they seem to have taken it off the market I would certainly have bought another of that make and model.

Gingernags

Visit site
I have to admit, I do love the weatherbeeta rugs, they fit mine so well. Got a LW turnout, and a heavyweight stable rug - the fusion one - and they are great. Getting her a heavy turnout and seperate neck when I can afford it.

I'm not fond of Rhinegold rugs, I find they leak quite a bit as a budget range. But I bought a Robinsons Requisite mad purple checked summer turnout in the sale and I have to say for £20 its not bad at all!

Other than that, not fond of the fit of masta's so I avoid. I love Fal rugs but can't manage the cost. My horsewear mid weight turnout is great, and the best one - I bought a Worldbeata turnout whern Asti was 3... she still has it and she's 14 and its still in really good nick, just the odd fray and a patch!

Mind you, got the mark todd lightweight stable rug new for this year, its so smart!!!! I almost can't wait to get her in so I can use it!!! (on the other hand her stable is freshly painted and I don't want to get the stable or rug poop stained!!!!)

You could tell us if you are pleased or disappointed in certain ranges, thats not defamatory, its saying in your experience how you have found them. If you say its the cheapest piece of rip off rubbish I've ever seen, well that is defamatory...

ecrozier

Visit site
Hello
New on here but just had to comment as I had exactly the same problem a few years ago and went back to the people I bought the rug from and they said they had had a faulty batch and were offering money back or an alternative rug, so I went for a weatherbeeta instead as they weren't much more! They were very good, and I've used the company again since and everything has been fine, so def worth trying to get your money back or an alternative rug!
Another fan of the mark todd rugs here, I've got them for both horses now and they fit really well and last years, one is just going into its 5th winter now and looks good as new. Would recommend, and they aren't ridiculously priced either!
smile.gif

CJ1

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately some LW's are only shower proof not rain proof.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im thinking that today. W is out in his WB landa lite and its bucketing down. It threw it down yesterday so he kept it on overnight cos it was still so wet, and now hes out in it today. Lets hope its stands up to more than just a shower. Im guessing the WB landa MW is making an apperance this weekend. Rugged up to his ears for the next 4 months
frown.gif

sorona

Visit site
My boys have the masta lights and they keep them nice and dry, although they do get wet behind the neck line if the rain is as bad as it was last night. Weatherbeeta would be my first choice for rugs as i know they fit mine so well. I have the landa light, the mid weight, the arion heavy, the orican half necks and full necks and the takka, all are fab and all but the landa are incredibly hard wearing.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Im a huge horseware fan and always have been. Their rugs are expensive but they tend to last forever so I can justify it. Ive just had the rambo jumbo rug arrive for my boy this winter and it looks lovely (and is oh so thick!)

I also like the mark todd rugs, but find the stable rug comes up a tiny bit small in size. They're very hard wearing though.

Previously Ive used a lot of Bucas rugs and always loved this. They were hard wearing, seemed incredibly warm and watched year after year like brand new.

The only fal rug ive ever really used was a Godolphin a few years back (before they introduced the silver interactive lining). That was excellent and kept my mare warm without the need for any under rugs. I really want another godolphin with the new lining but just cant afford it at the mo!

I tend to avoid the budget lines because, unfortunatly, through my experience you get what you pay for and they either leak or just fall apart
frown.gif

Zebedee

Visit site
If you can't get a refund or replacement it may be worth having it re-proofed. I know you shouldn't have to but it would be better than the rug being a complete waste. I had a good rug that was quite old & had started to leak reproofed and was delighted with the result.

sorona

Visit site
If the rug leaks that badly after only being worn for the 3rd time and never in the rain and has never been subjected to any abuse or been washed then i would think it would be pointless reproofing it as it might be throwing good money after bad. You are doing the right thing by getting n touch wth the manufacturers. i am sure once it is sent back, they will see that is has had little use and abuse and should give you a refund if they want to keep your custom in other areas of sale!
A friend bought a rug of a cheaper brand and after a heavy down pur it completely filled round the bottom, it appeared to be waterproof on the inside and not the outside!!! No, it wasnt on inside out, lol!

Sal_E

Visit site
I would say if it's a decent make (Mark Todd, Horsewear etc) then it would be worth complaining, but as it's a budget rug then probably they won't be interested - it'll be showerproof but probably makes no claim to be WATERproof in serious weather... Like you say, you get what you pay for!

flyingfeet

Visit site
If I were you I would not compose a snotty letter!!

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. At a year old the retailer has no obligation to you at all, so if you p*ss them off you are probably going to get nowhere!!

Just a thought, because if someone was rude in a letter / email to us after a year I'd probably ignore them. However we are generally very good to NICE customers.

I just refunded a De Gogue that broke after customer had it a year, probably was an accident (amazing how many cheeky sods there are), but they sounded nice, so was feeling generous!