cheaper alternatives to haycube for field hay

Austen123

Visit site
Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you know of any homemade/cheaper alternatives to the haycube, or hay hutch, for feeding hay in the field. Unfortunately the field is posts and electric rope so nowhere to tie anything. it needs to be idiot proof too. I had a large plastic tub previously and she managed to put her hoof through it and stood there wearing it like an ankle bracelet :rolleyes:

Visit site
The big white cube thingies that are often used for water as they have a tap on them. You can usually pick them up 2nd hand for about £20 and then cut a few holes in it.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Wheelie bin are great but you need to tie it to something and the tie the lid down as mine stood there all day flipping the lid and annoying the neighbours.
My OH brings home the crates that slabs come in from the builders merchants. I sell them on FB for a tenner each they never hang around long.

sherry90

Visit site
Aldi have compost bin in at the moment which have a lid on top and a bit at the bottom that’s cut out that I saw and though this would be ideal!

Fransurrey

Visit site
Are the horses in the field shod or not? If not, I made a ground slow feeder by adding a zip to a large Harry's Horze slow feeder net.