Cheapest fencing / barrier.

Mari

Visit site
I have good post & rail fencing to keep my horses in their field. I’m looking for the cheapest 2m high fence/barrier to keep neighbours dog out as they seem unable to keep dog in their garden & I’m fed up with it chasing my horses.

J&S

Visit site
What about running electric fencing on the tall anti deer stakes so that it sits above your own fixed fence? A couple of strands on the tallest notches with a good electric zap in them should put the dog off!

Mari

Visit site
What about running electric fencing on the tall anti deer stakes so that it sits above your own fixed fence? A couple of strands on the tallest notches with a good electric zap in them should put the dog off!

I have a problem with that. The electricity poles & overhead wires run along the fence line & you can’t put an electric fence under them.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Just putting high stakes up with wire along it so that the dog bounces of it might help. You could attach posts to the wooden posts to lift it higher if need be. If you can just give it a good fright once it might learn not to. One can live in hope anyway.
On a frivolous note borrow a dog hating alpaca that would chase it out.

Mari

Visit site
What do the owners say? I hope you have had the conversation about the dangerous dogs act ref out of control dogs? Get dog warden involved? Worth capturing on film as proof x
I have had a conversation with dog owners. Their response is - the dog only wants to play! I have pointed out it’s their responsibility to keep their dog under control just as it’s mine to keep my horses enclosed in their own field. I’ve caught the dog 3 times chasing horses but I’m aware it has done it many more times than I’ve known about. Owners haven’t/can’t train the dog, they couldn’t control their children either but they’ve left home now. We have a gun, all legal with licence, & I’ve said I’m prepared to shoot dog next time I find it chasing my horses. However soon I’m going to have to put horses in paddock behind their garden so I can rest & revitalise the other 2 paddocks trashed over winter so I’d like to put extra defences up to keep them safe. Ideally I’d like to erect a 2m high solid fence but at 60’ long can’t afford that.

neddy man

Visit site
I have had a conversation with dog owners. Their response is - the dog only wants to play! I have pointed out it’s their responsibility to keep their dog under control just as it’s mine to keep my horses enclosed in their own field. I’ve caught the dog 3 times chasing horses but I’m aware it has done it many more times than I’ve known about. Owners haven’t/can’t train the dog, they couldn’t control their children either but they’ve left home now. We have a gun, all legal with licence, & I’ve said I’m prepared to shoot dog next time I find it chasing my horses. However soon I’m going to have to put horses in paddock behind their garden so I can rest & revitalise the other 2 paddocks trashed over winter so I’d like to put extra defences up to keep them safe. Ideally I’d like to erect a 2m high solid fence but at 60’ long can’t afford that.
Be cautious re shooting it ,horses may not be classed as livestock, they can also sue you.(under the definition of livestock horses are on the list but not sure if that only relates to breeders and farmers.)

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I would involve the police and the local dog warden if you have one. Police will probably say it is a civil matter but don't take no for an answer. Quote Dangerous Dogs Act and say you are scared of the dog if need be. In these times particularly this needs dealing with. RSPCA 'might' take notice if you stress it is a welfare problem.
Or and this is tongue in cheek, you could say keep it out or I will pop the horses into your garden so he can play with them at home:).