Check Ligament Help Please

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
My horse has a strained check ligament, diagnosed by scan. He will not stay in a stable so i have him electrically fenced into a small area where he is quiet. I cold water hose twice a day, have it bandaged and sports medicine boots on. He is on the prescribed amount of bute from vet. He gets glucosamine and i am feeding arnica tablets as well as massaging with arnica gel. Is there anything else that anyone has found useful to treat this? Ultrsound therapy has been suggested- the vet mentioned results using a human home massage ultrsound- anyone tried/recommend? Thanks

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Did you discuss the booting and bandaging with your vet? And I'm also not too sure about massaging the area either.

Hopefully others with more experience of the injury will reply. But from memory, when my mare did her sesamoid ligament I was told not to bandage as the area was to be kept as mobile as possible (within the confines of box rest) to reduce the likelihood of scar tissue developing......

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
Yes the vet did tell me to bandage and boot for support as the pressure of fluid build up reduces the chance of it healing . It was also his idea to massage- so now im confused! He did say it was important to remove them twice a day for hosing and to get plenty of walking on firm/hard ground.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yes the vet did tell me to bandage and boot for support as the pressure of fluid build up reduces the chance of it healing . It was also his idea to massage- so now im confused! He did say it was important to remove them twice a day for hosing and to get plenty of walking on firm/hard ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah fine - if that's what your vet has said. I do think that sometimes different vets give differing advice - both as beneficial as the other I'm sure.

lastresort

Visit site
My mare had this in the summer and I was told to bandage both legs to avoid problems with sound leg?

I just rested her and she had adqualan (or something spelt similar) injections. She is fine now and competing again after 5 month off

ccooxxyy

Visit site
Maybe talk to an ACPAT registerd Veterinary Physiotherapist. they might be able to advise you in ultrasound and advise you onan exercise plan.

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
obviously check it with vet as I am not one!! But this is around £100 and may come in useful if its the type of thing he means?

http://www.jpmproducts.co.uk/retail_prod...mp;ProdTypeID=1

When my old pony had check lig damage we also had some heat treatment, some lasery red light thingy that was also warm, very technical me....

It definately speeded his recovery time without a doubt.