Check Ligament Injuries......

C&C

Visit site
Chance did his Check back in Nov sometime, he was not lame at all with it but i just noticed this unusual bump on the outside of his off fore (bit like a splint bump but in wrong place), it seemed to appear overnight but because it didnt bother him and he was sound i carried on riding him, thought it may have been a kick. After a week or two with it appearing and disappearing, and me scratching my head, i decided to get him scanned as my other horse needed his vaccs, two birds....one stone! Vet scanned him and found a damaged Check Ligmament, said he prob did it in the field as he is not in heavy work and doesnt jump, he has been retired from jumping and hunting, he is 20. Vet did say it was unusual for him to be as sound as he was.

He had 5 weeks box rest and then i turned him out......couldnt walk in hand as was too strong (even with a bridle and borrowed dually, you wouldnt think he was his age!!). Cleared this with vet and he said it would be OK as years ago any tendon injury resulted to horse being turned away.

He said to start riding him out (in walk only) for 5 mins a day and increasing the time each week. We are now walking out for 15-20 mins. He is due his vaccs end of the month so am booking him in for 2nd scan as well to see how things look and hopefully if its good news we can increase the work and start introducing some trot work.

Since he has been off i have removed his shoes (as he was due farrier not long after 1st scan), his feet are looking good and i am hoping to keep him barefoot now along with my other horse :)

...........how long did your horse take to heal? I know its different for each horse.

Last edited:

rhino

Visit site
My boy (same age as yours) did a check ligament in the field back in Aug/Sep. He also had SDFT damage which is the more serious of the two. No lameness and only minimal swelling initially. We did 6 weeks box rest with controlled walking and since then he has been turned out in the school during the day with a buddy :) Also using equissage 2x daily. Rescanning end of March. He is also now shoeless.

To be honest I haven't considered riding him again regardless of outcome, I feel he has earned a retirement now :)

Hope the scan goes well and you can get back to riding :D

C&C

Visit site
My boy (same age as yours) did a check ligament in the field back in Aug/Sep. He also had SDFT damage which is the more serious of the two. No lameness and only minimal swelling initially. We did 6 weeks box rest with controlled walking and since then he has been turned out in the school during the day with a buddy :) Also using equissage 2x daily. Rescanning end of March. He is also now shoeless.

To be honest I haven't considered riding him again regardless of outcome, I feel he has earned a retirement now :)

Hope the scan goes well and you can get back to riding :D

Thanks Rhino

Vet said i was lucky that his injury is the less serious of them all and the majority of horses with it make a full recovery :)

If he did have to be retired i would not hold it against him, he has done me very proud in the past 18 years but i would love the opportunity to show him off with the VHS in his senior years to, Ridden or In-hand. :)
**fingers crossed**