Check Ligament Injury

FabulousFlynn'sMum

Visit site
Hi guys,

My 16.3 ID mare has had 5/6 months off with a check ligament strain. I rode her on Sunday to see how she was doin (has been field sound for a while) and she was fine. Anyway i'm taking her back up to the vets today to have it rescanned. What I am wondering is, is there any type of injection etc that they can put into the ligament to help with its healing etc if the scan comes up to say its still not quite right?

Sorry for sounding a bit thick but ive never in my 30 odd years of horses had a horse with a tendon/ligament injury so I dont know much about them or their treatment.

Just to add all the treatment the mare has had is the initial scan, 2 weeks box rest, turned out in a small paddock for a couple more weeks then back out with the herd and turned away.

Many thanks for your help.

Luv Jayne xx

FabulousFlynn'sMum

Visit site
Cheers Scotsmare, i'm hoping the results are that she's healed or at least well on the way! I'm desperate to get her back into work, allbeit slowly, she's been on restricted grazing but is still the size of a house, she needs work!

I'm taking her back to the vets for another scan as although she seems sound, i'm not sure if when she's proper stomping down the field at speed, I can still see some slight lameness, but then again, ive had so many problems with my two ID's with lameness these last two years i'm thinking am I just being too critical and seeing lameness that isnt there!!!!!! xx

judeoak22

New User
Visit site
We're all guilty of seeing lameness when we have had our fair share, your doing the best thing getting him re scanned at least it will put your mind at rest. When my mare had this injury she was injected whilst on box rest. Had to have box rest for 6 weeks though & then restricted turn out, but she made a full recovery just did a lengthy fittening programme with lots of walking first.

Hope all goes well.
smirk.gif

spike123

Visit site
we have a gelding at our yard who has had 9 months off with a suposed check ligament injury.He is still not sound even now and is off to be scanned later this week.He has aparantly reinjured his check ligament after coming sound the first time round so the main concern is scar tissue.He is sound in walk,but variably lame in trot ranging from not quite right to real head nodding lameness. Hence why we are all unsure if this is a check ligament injury.